~ Recipes from the Farm: Basil Pesto ~

I have always loved making pesto, and luckily the farm has two of the main ingredients. Once when I was maybe 10 years old I made pesto when my mom wasn’t home and didn’t know the difference between a clove of garlic and a head of garlic, so needless to say the pesto was more of a garlic pesto than a basil pesto. But it was still tasty, that’s the beauty of pesto, you can add more or less of any of the ingredients to your own liking.

I started with about 6 cups of basil, which I rinsed and let dry.

IMG_0329 IMG_0330 IMG_0331

The next step is to peel the garlic. I used 10 cloves of garlic, of varying sizes. We have five different types of garlic at the farm, so I used cloves from a few heads.

IMG_0333 IMG_0337

After your garlic and basil are ready, put them both in a blender (or in an ideal world, a food processor). If you don’t have a blender, you can always chop up the basil and garlic on your own. Also in the blender I added 3/4 of olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. You could also add other spices, as well as nuts (pine nuts taste great!). The final step is to blend! This made a 1/2 pint mason jar full of delicious pesto.

Enjoy!

— Malin the Farm Intern