Where They’re Headed: Marcus Levy ’15

Marcus Levy ’15 is spending the next year as a Center for Peace and Global Citizenship (CPGC) fellow at La Casa de Los Amigos in Mexico City.

“I just want to help the world be a better place,” says Marcus Levy ’15, who majored in Spanish and minored in independent health studies.

True to his values, Levy is spending the next year as a Center for Peace and Global Citizenship (CPGC) fellow at La Casa de Los Amigos in Mexico City. La Casa is committed to principles of equality, justice, and nonviolence; it seeks to empower and support its local community and the many migrants, refugees, and asylum-seekers that pursue its help.

Levy’s role, as he understands it, will be to support La Casa’s mission by acting as a liaison between the nonprofit and its partner organizations, helping to promote the local economy, or even just cooking breakfast for its guests.

Despite long being interested in public health, Levy now finds himself leaning more towards a career in law and foreign policy. But for the time being, he is focused on his fellowship.

“The persistence of gross inequality inspired me to choose this path… It is my personal opinion that the legacy of colonialism is the most pernicious injustice plaguing our world today,” he says. “Despite its ostensible subtlety, once identified, the impact of this legacy on the shape of our modern world is difficult to unsee or ignore. Therefore, I feel compelled to contribute to counteracting this legacy in anyway I can.”

–Hina Fathima ’15

“Where They’re Headed” is a blog series reporting on the post-collegiate plans of recent Haverford graduates.