First-Year Dean’s Council

Welcome Class of 2022! 

The First-Year Dean’s Council is made up of members of the class of 2021 and works to support and enhance the experience of first-year students at Haverford. This year, the Council will focus on welcoming the class of 2022 and members will post blogs about life at Haverford over the spring and summer. In the fall, we will host social events for the new first-year class. By the end of Fall 2018, the Council will select new members from the class of 2022 to continue work on behalf of the first-year experience at Haverford. Consider applying when the time comes!

Class of 2021 First Year Dean's Council

Class of 2021 First Year Dean’s Council

Katrina Glanzer – Dean for First-Year Students Katrina Glanzer

I am originally from rural western Virginia, but have lived in and around Philadelphia for the past 19 years. I graduated from Haverford in 2002 with a religion major, and recently completed a M.Ed. in Higher Education from the University of Pennsylvania.  In July 2017, I returned to Haverford as first year dean, and look forward to rediscovering Haverford with you this year. Prior to this role, I served as an advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania. I am thrilled by the opportunity to work with you this year and eager to meet you in person when you arrive. In the interim, please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns: kglanzer@haverford.edu.

Noorie Chowdhury

Noorie Chowdhury, Chair: Welcome to Haverford, Class of ’22! I’m Noorie Chowdhury ’21 from Mumbai, India, and am the current First-Year Representative of Student’s Council. Other activities I’m involved in on-campus include being student co-head of Haverford’s Innovation Platform, a high-school writing tutor for the MAST (Mentorship & Student Teaching) Program and a student-assistant at the Hurford Center for Arts and Humanities. I’m not quite certain about what I want to major in yet, but am currently exploring the idea of designing an independent major in Politics, Philosophy and Economics. I like to attend as many events on and off-campus as I can find the time for, and always find great thrill in exploring new places and ideas! I’m eagerly looking forward to welcoming you all to the special place that is Haverford, and would be more than happy to chat or answer any questions you might have! Write to me at nchowdhury@haverford.edu or shoot me a message on Facebook.

Leily BehbehaniLeily Behbehani: Hi everyone! My name is Leily Behbehani and I’m an international student from London, UK. I’m a mid-distance runner on Haverford’s track and field team and really love running on the nature trail. I am super excited to be a Customs Person on one of your first-year halls next semester; I can’t wait to meet all of you!

Laurel BenjaminLaurel Benjamin: Welcome, class of 2022! I’m Laurel Benjamin ‘21, from Claremont, California, and I am stoked to be a part of the First-Year Dean’s Council. As a rising sophomore, I am hoping to major in Psychology with minors in Statistics and Spanish (I hope to do a semester in Barcelona!). When I’m not hanging out with my first-year hall, I enjoy doing PE Pilates and interning for Spectrum (a club that teaches social skills to children/young adults with autism). I also can’t wait to be a CP for a few of you next year!!

Xiangruo DaiXiangruo Dai: Hello! I’m Xiangruo Dai, a first year who is a prospective major in Mathematical Economics and minoring in Psychology and Japanese. Although I lived most of my early years in beautiful Beijing, China, my current home in the United States is sunny Florida. On any given day, you can see me on campus playing club badminton and studying in Sci-Lib, out in Ardmore and Bryn Mawr enjoying Maido and New Dorm Dining Hall, or in the city as a program facilitator for the Franklin Institute. I hope to get the opportunity to meet all of you personally, whether you are a current first year or a possible member of class of 2022.

June HoangJune Hoang: Hello Class of 2022, my name is June and I’m a member of the First Year Dean’s Council. Born and raised in Vietnam, I moved to San Francisco two years ago and luckily got chosen as a Questbridge Scholar, a program through which I first learned about Haverford College. I knew I want to be a doctor when I was five years old so my intended major is Chemistry with a minor/ double major in Psychology. In addition to being a Questbridge Scholar, I’m also a Chesick Scholar on campus with fifteen other students whom I had an opportunity to befriend and work with over the summer. I have a keen interest in music which motivates me to participate in the Outskirts A capella group and Chamber music. I’m also involved in an affinity club for Asian student at Haverford called Pan-Asian Resource Center. Beside studying, I’m currently working as research assistant at the library, student assistant at the President’s office, and a science tutor at MAST (Mentoring and Student Teaching). In addition to all my social engagement this year, I will become a CP on a first year hall next year. All in all, I’m very excited to work with you all in the future.

Shreya KishoreShreya Kishore: Hey everyone! I’m Shreya Kishore and I’m from Bangalore, India. I am a potential Chemistry/Biology major with a Biochemistry concentration and a computer science minor. Apart from the First Year Dean’s Council, I am part of a South Asian fusion dance team called Mayuri (it’s open to all and a lot of fun!), the co-head of the South Asian Society (SAS), member of women in STEM (WIS) and work in a Biology research lab. I spend my free time talking to my friends, watching movies or reading about cool scientific discoveries. I love talking to new people and answering questions of all sorts (literally), so if you want to know anything about Haverford or me, don’t hesitate to shoot me an email at skishore@haverford.edu!

Eyasu ShumieEyasu Shumie: Hello! My name is Eyasu and I am a first year who is deciding between majoring in Political Science or English. I am a Customs Person so I may get to know some of you very well next year! Besides that, I’m a HAVOC trip leader which means I get to go on fun backpacking trips, and I am on FUCS which means I help book cool bands to come play at Haverford. I’m from Las Vegas (not New Mexico), and I’m a Chesick Scholar. I am super excited to get to meet a lot of you as you transition from high school into college, and hope I can help make that transition as fun as it can be!

Emma SouterEmma Souter: Hello first years! My name is Emma Souter. I’m from Carlsbad, California which is about 20 minutes north of downtown San Diego and about 5 minutes from the beach. I have lived in SoCal for almost my entire life but decided to come out east for school and fell in love with Haverford. On campus, I am on the Varsity softball team and  am undecided on what I’m studying but interested in studying Poli-Sci or Philosophy as my major and an Econ minor.