Welcome, Class of 2023!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Haverford and welcome to The First Year blog! From now until Customs begins on August 28th, 2019, current Haverford students will post regularly to get you excited (and hopefully ready!) to begin your first year at Haverford. Over the coming weeks and months you’ll get a sneak peek at Haverford’s resources and traditions, learn about current student communities, and begin to imagine how you will make this campus your own.

As the first year dean, I already know you belong here and am grateful to my colleagues in the Admissions Office for the work that they’ve done to bring you here. I’m looking forward to learning about what aspects of this community, and how we do the hard work of learning with and from one another, resonated with you. I hope you will see yourself and your experiences reflected in the blog as the posts unfold. Whether you are the first in your family to attend college or are intimately familiar with Haverford, whether you are coming from Philadelphia or will arrive with 12-hour jet lag, whether you identify as an athlete, a student of color, a musician, a queer or trans student, an entrepreneur, a nerd, an organizer, a scholar, or all of the above, know that I eagerly anticipate getting to know you and your stories over the coming year.

I also want to share next year’s academic calendar. Customs, our year-long orientation program, will begin for all first-year students on Wednesday, August 28th. Please note that International Student Orientation, which is required for all international students, begins on Saturday, August 24th. You may also apply or be invited to a variety of other pre-Customs programs, with earlier arrival dates, so I’d advise you to hold off on making travel arrangements just yet!

hav.to/academiccalendar