SUMMER (DE)CENTERED SERIES: PHILLY PARTNERS INTERNSHIP

Isabella Siegel ’19 at her internship at FringeArts. Photo by Cole Sansom ’19.

This post is the third in a series on the Decentered blog highlighting student funding opportunities through the Hurford Center for Summer 2018. These funding opportunities allow students to pursue a variety of arts and humanities projects, both on campus and off.  

PHILLY PARTNERS INTERNSHIP

QUICK SUMMARY:
Internship opportunities organized through the Hurford Center in partnership with arts and humanities organizations in Philadelphia. Students apply to individual organizations, and then receive funding through the Center if selected by the organization. Decisions can be expected mid-March.

INFORMATION ON INTERNSHIPS:
Philadelphia is home to an extraordinary array of arts and culture institutions with national reputations. HCAH has long-running partnerships with several of these institutions, and facilitates summer internships for Haverford students according to what each organization requests. Individual organizations conduct the application and selection process, and funding comes through the Hurford center.

Below are the application details for each of this year’s partered organizations:

WHO SHOULD APPLY:

• Current first years, sophomores, and juniors. While many applicants are majoring in the arts and/or humanities, all majors are welcome to apply.
  • Students interested in cross-disciplinary areas of study, including curation, archival research, community engagement, and public art.
  • Students who wish to explore how the arts and humanities intersect with communities beyond academia.

APPLICATION DETAILS:
In addition to undertaking the application process for the organization(s) whose internship they are applying to, applicants must submit:

• A ranking of their choices among the organizations they are applying to;
  • Language skills;
  • Experience using software and digital media tools (ie Word, Excel, Access, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, Final Cut, WordPress, blogging, social media apps, HTML/CSS, Python, MySQLSTRATA, R, and other programming languages), as well as digital cameras;
  • The name of a professor who knows their work well and can be contacted as a reference who has consented to serve as a recommendation;
  • A resume and transcript;
  • One page single- spaced essay responding to the following prompt: Please discuss your interest in a particular Philadelphia Partners organization, explaining why your coursework, skills, and background would make you a good fit. Reflect on your goals for your experience at Haverford and for your future career, and how they connect to past experiences and future aims. What experience would you bring to the internship, and what would you hope to gain?

REFLECTION ON THE EXPERIENCE FROM ISABELLA SIEGEL ‘19:

Working for FringeArts was a very new experience for me, and incredibly valuable. I found that working in an office environment was entirely different from anything I had done before! As someone who wants to go into the arts, it was also great to get the perspective of companies like FringeArts and the work that they put in to making avant-garde arts available. I found that during the application process and during the interview, it was important to really bring up and explain my greatest strengths as an artist and as an arts scholar. The working environment was professional, but relaxed! There was always talk about the office, lots of jokes, and lots of dogs. I felt comfortable taking my shoes off and curling up in my office chair at work, but everyone was still professional. I gained so much experience there, in publishing, design, writing, and website management. Even though an office job is not something I’d be able to do long term, I really enjoyed my time there, and would be so happy to answer any questions about it!

APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 19, 2018

James Gisele ’19