I’ve spent the majority of my time at the vision sciences laboratory making faces for two new measures of facial recognition. For the first measure, I made more than 2000 faces based on 50 “parent” faces. The derived faces were based on the same characteristic features as their parent, except that I manipulated gender for each face. Now we have a library of faces that subtly vary in gender. We’ll be using these faces to see how well people can identify gender based on facial features, as well as measure the sensitivity of their gender perception skills.
The second library I made was similar to the first, except I kept gender constant and varied age instead. It’s a lot of fun to scroll through the faces and see them get older and younger.
I’ve also made a third library, although it isn’t face oriented. This library is composed of unfamiliar objects. We might use the objects in this library to develop a measure of how well people can recognize novel objects. Or not. We’ll see!