Interested in spending your summer, taking courses overseas? You may be able to receive Haverford credit for the work you do, while abroad!
In order to receive credit, students must submit the summer study abroad form to the Registrar’s Office in advance of attending the program. Students may not apply for retroactive credit for programs already completed.
Summer study abroad is not under the oversight of Haverford’s International Academic Programs (Study Abroad). To best understand your options, please consult your dean prior to leaving campus for the summer. The procedures and regulations are available in the course catalog.
Students have received credit from many programs on the following list. Keep in mind that this is by no means an exhaustive catalog; you should feel free to apply for credit from a program you do not see here, or attend a program for no academic credit.
GoAbroad.com is a good resource for learning about potential summer study options.
Language study-focused program:
- Russian Heritage Speakers Program
- Business Russian Language and Internship Program
- Russian Language and Area Studies Program
- Russian Language Immersion (Moscow, Russia)
- Spanish Language Immersion (Malaga, Spain)
- Intensive Hebrew Summer Ulpan (July and August)
- Intensive Arabic Language Program (July and August)
- Tunisia: Intensive Arabic Language & Culture Studies in Tunis
- Intensive Arabic Language at the Center for International Learning in Muscat, Oman
- Chinese Language Study (Contact professor Shizhe Huang)
- Taiwan-US Ambassador Summer Program
- KU Leuven, Belgium: EU Inside Out
Global Sustainability and Medicine Programs:
- Environmental, Social, and Economic Sustainability in Cameroon
- Environmental Sustainability in the Middle East: Challenges of the Southern Arava
- IFSA Butler – Community Building and Sustainable Development in Lima, Peru
- IFSA Butler – Medical Spanish and Public Health in the Yucatan
General Summer Study Programs:
- Fulbright UK Summer Institutes: Programs at Shakespeare’s Globe Theater, Durham University (archaeology), Kings College London, Nottingham Trent University, Queens University Belfast, Scotland (Universities of Dundee and Strathclyde), Wales (Cardiff, Bangor, and Aberyswith Universities), University of Bristol, and University of Exeter
- Pembroke-Kings Program
- IES Summer Programs: Programs in Vienna, Berlin, Frieburg EU, Madrid, Salamanca, Paris, Rome, Milan, and Tokyo. Note: Haverford College is a full member of the Institute for the International Education of Students (IES). This means that Dean Mancini and the International Study Abroad Faculty Committee can directly admit students to their programs.
- Copenhagen, Denmark DIS for Summer
- The Villanova University Summer Programs
- Arcadia University Summer Programs
- Rothberg International School at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel
- American Council’s Contemporary Russia
- CIEE Summer Programs
- Siena School for Liberal Arts
- Freie Universität Berlin International Summer
- Coexistence in the Middle East
- Kings College London Summer School
- Study Abroad to Turkey: Society, Politics, and Economy in Modern Turkey
- Irish Studies Gateway: International Summer School
- The University of East Anglia’s International Summer School
- University of Exeter: International Summer School
- Arcadia STEM Summer Research Abroad
- Columbia Summer programs:
- University College Dublin