Cooking, Gas Stoves, Refrigerators, and Trash & Recycling

Jump to:


Cooking is permitted only in the kitchens of the following residence halls: 710 College Avenue, the Ira de A. Reid House, and the Haverford College Apartments (HCA), and the kitchenette in Yarnall. Upper-class students living anywhere other than 710 College Avenue, the Ira de A. Reid House or HCA must be on the full meal plan (students living in Yarnall MUST be on the full meal plan).

Microwaves are provided in the central hallways of Barclay, Gummere and Lloyd; in the kitchenettes in Kim and Tritton Halls, and inside the suites of the North Dorms. Students may provide their own small microwaves for use in other dorms. Microwaves must be connected directly to an outlet or through, at most, one heavy duty, appliance-type extension cord (12 gauge wiring or larger) and used in accordance with their instructions.

Students are reminded that they must always and at all times watch over and attend to the food or drink they are cooking or heating.

Gas Stoves

All apartments at HCA are furnished with a natural gas stove for cooking. All stoves are ignited either by automatic pilot lights or electronic means. Electronic ignition stovetops may only be ignited by the built-in igniter. The igniter is activated by turning the dial all the way to the left until it starts clicking. After the burner has been ignited, the dial should be turned back. Stoves that ignite by a pilot light are turned on by turning the knob to the desired level of heat. The top burner will then light. The oven will also light automatically by turning the dial.

Escaping natural gas is very volatile; please make it a habit to follow these procedures:

o   Turn off the gas jets completely when you are through cooking.

o   Check the stovetop pilot light regularly to make sure that it is burning.

o   Leave windows by the stove closed when you are not in the apartment and when you go to sleep; sometimes a breeze will extinguish the pilot light.

o   Never leave the apartment without making sure that the pilot light is on and the gas jets are off.

Students must always and at all times watch over and attend to the food or drink they are cooking or heating.

What to do if you smell gas:

If a student smells gas, he/she should make sure none of the gas jets on the stove are turned on and unlit as well as checking that the pilot light is burning. (There is a pilot light underneath the cover on the top of the stove and one in the oven.)

If the gas smell is inexplicable, students should immediately call Facilities Management at 610-896-1100 (M-F 7 a.m. – 4:30 p.m). If no one answers, or if the call goes to voicemail, please immediately call Campus Safety (610-896-1111) – they are available 24/7. Please be prepared to give your name, building #, and apartment #.

If the smell is heavy, open windows and doors and immediately leave the apartment!


Students are permitted to have small (mini) refrigerators but they assume responsibility for any damages caused by the use of a refrigerator (e.g., carpet or other damages from leaking water, etc.). Students living in all residences, except HCA, should defrost their refrigerator often, and are required before Winter Break begins to remove all perishables from, defrost, clean, dry, and disconnect their refrigerators. Students living in HCA do not have to defrost the refrigerators, as they are self-defrosting.

Refrigerators may not be placed in public areas, with the sole exception of in-suite common rooms. Refrigerators found in public places will be removed by Housekeeping and the owners will be fined $50.00.

Refrigerators left after the College closing at the end of the academic year will result in an additional $25.00 fee to the owner, for a total of $75.00.

The College assumes no liability for damages to or loss of removed refrigerators.

Trash and Recycling

Trash and recycling bins are distributed throughout the residence halls, except at HCA where recycling and trash dumpsters are located outside. There are three outside locations at HCA: in the small parking lot beside HCA #10, on Hannum Drive in the bay in front on HCA #30 and #34, and on Hannum Drive behind HCA #50.

Students should familiarize themselves with their location and are expected to remove and properly dispose of trash, garbage and recyclables on a regular basis in order to avoid creating health and safety hazards and to avoid attracting rodents.

Students living at HCA should bag their trash in plastic bags and tightly seal it before placing the trash in the outside dumpsters.

In the North Dorms, the trash and recycling bins are located in the cubby area of each suite.

Recycling Information

You may place the following items in the blue recycling bins on campus:

  • newspaper
  • cardboard
  • paperboard
  • office paper (all colors, staples are fine)
  • magazines
  • catalogs
  • telephone books
  • envelopes (plastic/wax paper windows are fine)
  • books (paper only — please remove hard covers/binders)
  • aluminum cans
  • glass bottles, cans (green, brown, clear)
  • metal cans
  • plastics 1-7

Please do not recycle any of the following: Putting these in recycling bins will cause contamination and may cause all of the bin’s contents to be thrown away.

  • no pizza boxes
  • no glass cups
  • no aluminum foil
  • no light bulbs
  • no blue glass
  • no aerosol cans
  • no take out containers
  • no waxed cartons

Thank you for recycling at Haverford!

Office of the Dean of the College