Housing Assignments and Selection

Jump to:

Campus Housing: The Residence Halls


Haverford offers a wide variety of housing options: apartments, suites, doubles, and singles. We are fortunate to have a high percentage of single rooms that are configured in a variety of ways. Students can choose from living arrangements that include single rooms, double rooms, suites –groupings of single rooms some with a common lounge, on-campus apartments with kitchens and single-use bathrooms, and houses that were originally private dwellings.

The traditional style residence halls are: Barclay, Gummere, Kim, Leeds, Lloyd, the North Dorms (Comfort, Jones and Lunt), and Tritton. The houses are: 710 College Avenue, Cadbury House, Ira de A. Reid, Drinker, La Casa Hispanica, and Yarnall. The Haverford College Apartments (HCA) is comprised of 21 garden-style buildings. Nineteen (19) of the buildings at HCA are used as student housing with five (5) of these designated for first-year housing (HCA # 22, 26, 34, 38, and 42). Our Graduate Assistants live in HCA # 808 on the 2nd floor. The remaining two (2) buildings at HCA are used by the college in a number of different ways. The apartments in HCA #804 are used as Guest Housing. The apartments in HCA # 812 house Haverford staff and we have one commercial renter in one apartment in HCA #23 (2C). The Conferences Office coordinates the use of HCA # 804, # 812 and #23 2C.

In addition, we also have Special Interest and Community Housing.

The Special Interest Houses are: Cadbury House is a Quiet, Substance-free residence, La Casa Hispanica supports the endeavors of students actively engaged in organizing programs concerned with the cultures and civilizations of the Spanish-speaking world, and the Ira de Augustine Reid House/Black Cultural Center is a residential space for students invested in the histories, legacies, and traditions of the African diaspora as well as a cultural center for the campus community.

This year, 2016-2017, we have five (5) Community Houses located in the residence halls. Four Community Houses are located at HCA and one in Yarnall. Ehaus, located on the 1st floor of HCA #15 is Ehaus, a co-op that works to create an environmentally sustainable way of living and bring awareness to the campus. Ehaus hosts sustainable weekly dinners that are open to the bi-co community. Christian House, located on the 1st floor of HCA #14 (aims to be a resource of people trying to exemplify holistic Christian lives for both Christians and non-Christians at Haverford). Quaker House, located on the 1st floor of HCA #23 is Quaker House, open to students of all religions, which aims to create a focus on the centeredness and nurturing that occurs when Friends gather intentionally. Music and Arts House, located on the 1st floor of HCA #50, is Arts and Music House, which organizes concerts, open mic nights, film screenings, and other music and art events throughout the year. Nerd House, located in Yarnall, aims to provide an alternative to the usual Saturday night social scene. Particularly catering to the Trico nerd community, we provide a safe space where our guests are encouraged to socialize in a welcoming, substance-free environment. We understand “nerd” to be anyone who has passions and interests that lie outside of what can be found in mainstream weekend parties.

There are a number of social spaces in the residence halls: two at HCA (basement of HCA #15 and #50); one in Gummere basement; Barclay 1st floor lounge; and Lunt 1st floor.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All basements at HCA, with the exceptions of HCA #15 and #50, are not designed to be used as social spaces. Therefore, for safety reasons, students are prohibited from using these basements as gathering or social spaces.

There is a Computer Lab in the basement of HCA #30.

First-Year Housing


First-year students are required to live on campus so that they may fully take part in all of the First-Year programs, and become acquainted with the Haverford community. The only exception to this is if a first-year student has special circumstances and received permission by their dean and has been approved for an accommodation to live at home or off campus.

All incoming first-year students are required to complete a Housing Questionnaire form by mid-June. Using this information, the College assigns students to Customs groups in one of the first-year residences. While we understand there are numerous reasons students might want to request a specific residence hall, we place a greater value on the people who will shape your community rather than the building in which you will be living.

First-year students are assigned housing in one of four locations: Barclay Hall, Gummere Hall, the Haverford College Apartments (HCA) in one of five designated first-year buildings #22, 26, 34, 38, or 42, and Tritton Hall.

The residential life system, consistent with Haverford’s long-standing commitment to student self-governance based on a comprehensive Honor Code, does not have live-in peer or professional staff.

Living among first-year students are upper-class students including Customs People (CPs) and Upper-Classmen Advisors (UCAs). Customs People are sophomores or juniors who are there to answer first-year students’ questions, assist them with problems and/or direct them to the right resources when needed, and help them transition to life at the College. UCAs are juniors and seniors selected by the Dean’s Office because of their knowledge of the curriculum and academic requirements. They, along with first-year faculty advisors, help first-year students plan their academic programs. UCAs do not take the place of the faculty advisors assigned to all first-year students; they offer additional information and help insure that first-year students and faculty advisors are in close contact throughout the year.

All first-year housing is designated smoke-free housing. First-Year students are expected to remain in their assigned first-year housing for the entire academic year.

Bathrooms in the twenty-four Customs Groups in first-year buildings

Three (3) Customs Groups have bathrooms that have been pre-designated as all-gender bathrooms.

Five (5) Customs Groups – those in HCA – have bathrooms that are single occupancy bathrooms and are single-gender by apartment.

Sixteen (16) Customs Groups have bathrooms that have not been pre-designated.

Upon arrival at Haverford, one of the first decisions first-year students living in the sixteen (16) Customs Groups in which the bathrooms have not been pre-designated or are at HCA is whether the bathrooms on the hall will be designated as all-gender or single-gender bathrooms. These Customs Groups do a blind vote in order to keep people’s preferences confidential. Many halls have more than one bathroom/set of showers, and some customs groups choose to designate one bathroom for males and the other for females. If the hall has only one set of bathrooms/showers other alternatives can be arranged, such as specific bathroom hours for each gender. In essence, the Customs Group works as a hall community in order to arrange a situation that fits everyone’s level of comfort.

For some, it may be uncomfortable to share opinions and preferences so publicly, even if they feel strongly about one side versus another. For a number of reasons, some students would prefer to live in housing with all-gender bathrooms. This process may be especially uncomfortable for students who feel that revealing their preference publicly to their Customs Group might “out” themselves in relation to their gender identity, or gender expression. With this sensitivity in mind, and in keeping with the mission of the College to be an inclusive and welcoming community for all, the Office of Residential Life will, in three of the twenty-four Customs Groups in first-year housing, formally pre-designate the bathrooms as all-gender in advance of first-year student’s arrival on campus. Incoming first-year students are asked on the Housing Questionnaire about their level of need and comfort level regarding all-gender and single-gender bathrooms. For the 2016-2017 academic year, three (3) pre-designated Customs Groups have bathrooms that have been formally pre-designated as all-gender bathrooms.

Resources:  Students who would like more information about all-gender bathrooms, housing, or any other Haverford policies that may differentially impact students based on their gender identity or expression, please visit the website for Haverford’s Trans* Inclusivity Committee and/or directly contact a member of the committee.

Upper-Class Housing


The housing system, consistent with Haverford’s long-standing commitment to student self-governance based on a comprehensive Honor Code, does not have live-in peer or professional staff.

All-Gender upper-class housing

Haverford has a long standing tradition of offering all-gender housing to upper-class students. Upper-class students choose with whom they wish to live with regardless of gender identity or gender expression. All upper-class housing is offered as all-gender housing.

Upper-class students who must be assigned to their housing, for example from the Deferred Housing Assignment List or due to a room change, are asked of their preference to live in all-gender housing or in single-gender housing. No student, without their consent, is assigned to all-gender housing without their consent.

Bathrooms in all upper-class residence halls

Bathrooms in upper-class residence halls are all-gender bathrooms.

All-gender restrooms are standard in upper-class residence halls at Haverford.  Resources:  Students who would like more information about all-gender bathrooms, housing, or any other Haverford policies that may differentially impact students based on their gender identity or expression, please visit the website for Haverford’s Trans* Inclusivity Committee and/or directly contact a member of the committee.

Upper-class students choose their housing by participating in a process called Room Draw. Each upper-class student desiring campus housing must participate in the Room Draw process.

Two Room Draws are held during the academic year.

Upper-class students choose their rooms for the following academic year by participating in a process called Spring Room Draw. The Spring Room Draw process begins the first week of March when the Guidelines and the Room Draw Calendar, are posted online with hard copies available at the Office of Residential Life. The Room Draw Calendar lists all deadlines, dates, times & locations of all Room Draw events. The Special Interest Housing and Community Housing application processes take place in March. The five (5) Rounds of Draws for rooms take place in April. Please refer to the calendar if you have questions about Room Draw dates or deadlines and contact the Office of Residential Life (hc-reslife@haverford.edu) if you cannot find the answers there.

The Mid-Year Room Draw process begins in mid-November when the Mid-Year Room Draw Guidelines and Calendar are posted online. Mid-Year room Draw is limited to upper-class students and is for those students who will be returning to campus for Semester II (e.g., students returning from any kind of leave e.g., International or Domestic Study Abroad, College or Dean’s Leave) who are seeking campus housing for Semester II or those wishing or needing to switch their campus housing for Semester II.

The Office of Residential Life, under whose auspices the Room Draw is run, supplies the Mid-Year and Spring Room Draw Guidelines, forms and applications. The Residential Life Committee members run the actual room draws and have a voice in housing decisions. All students participating in the Room Draw process acknowledge, by their signature on forms and applications, their responsibility to read, understand, and abide by all policies and procedures in the Mid-Year and Spring Room Draws’ Guidelines and the Honor Code.

The Room Draw Guidelines establish the policy by which the Haverford community both applies for and selects housing. However, the Guidelines cannot cover every single circumstance that may arise regarding the room draw process. Working closely with the Office of Residential Life, the Residential Life Committee plays an active role in all aspects of housing and reserves the right, by virtue of Students’ Council appointment of the Co-Chairs, to adjudicate over such ambiguous cases in keeping with the letter and spirit of the guidelines as well as the Honor Code. The Office of Residential Life and Residential Life Committee strive to achieve decisions that are equitable and fair to the parties involved as well as to the Haverford community as a whole. While specific rules and procedures may change slightly every year, each student desiring a room on campus must participate in the Spring Room Draw process and follow all policies and procedures to be guaranteed housing the following fall. Students who have not obtained housing by the end of the Spring Room Draw Rounds and want campus housing in the fall must fill out a Deferred Housing Assignment Form and submit it to the Office of Residential Life by the deadline. Students who have participated in Room Draw, filled out and submitted the Deferred Housing Assignment Form by the stated deadline are guaranteed housing. Rooms invariably open up during the summer, and the College has been able to house all those requesting housing, who have met the Deferred Housing List requirements and deadlines. There is, however, no guarantee of the kind or location of the available housing or that Emergency Housing spaces may not have to be used. Students who request housing but who have not met the above requirements are not guaranteed housing.

Eligibility for Room Draw
A student’s status at the college must be active (i.e. not on a leave). A student’s status is based on the information provided by the Registrar’s Office at the time of the Room Draw they wish to enter. Questions related to status should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.

A student MUST HAVE MET ALL FINANCIAL and LIBRARY OBLIGATIONS to the College by the stated deadline in the Room Draw Guidelines to be eligible to participate in Room Draw. Questions related to financial obligations should be directed to Barbara Wilson, Student Accounts, Business Office (bwilson@haverford.edu or 610-896-1251). Questions related to library obligations should be directed to Dawn Heckert, Magill Library (dheckert@haverford.edu or 610-896-1163).

Class Year used in Room Draw
A student’s class year is based on the information provided by the Registrar’s Office at the time of the Room Draw. IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT YOUR CLASS STANDING, PLEASE SEE THE REGISTRAR AND VERIFY YOUR CLASS STANDING. It is a student’s responsibility to ensure the accuracy of their class year, at the time of the Room Draw, on all forms and application. Questions related to class year should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.

EXCEPTION TO THE ABOVE: The Physical Education Requirement and Class Year for the purposes of Room Draw. Students who have not completed the College’s physical education requirement by the end of their sophomore year will retain their sophomore (rising junior) class status in subsequent Room Draws until their PE Requirement is completed. Once it is completed, students revert to the normal class status for whatever year they are. This pertains to the Deferred Housing, as well. Retention of sophomore (rising junior) status is based on the information provided by the Athletic Department. Questions related to this requirement should be directed to the Athletics Department.


Students who take housing in the Room Draw and then decide to give up their campus housing and live off campus must notify the Office of Residential Life by the stated deadline.  There will be a $200.00 fine levied if this deadline is not observed.

Students who take housing in the Room Draw or via the Deferred Housing Assignment process and then decide to they will be taking a Leave of Absence are asked to let the Office of Residential Life know as soon as they have made their decision.  According to College policy, “Since the number of students admitted for any fall term depends upon the number of students returning, a student who requests a leave of absence late in the summer has effectively denied someone else a place at the College. If that student has also been assigned College housing, he or she is severely inconveniencing other students.  Thus, a fine of $500 may be imposed upon students requesting leaves of absence after August 1 of any given year.”  For more information please see page 27 of the Haverford College Catalog Academic Regulations.

Questions regarding Room Draw should be directed to the Residential Life Committee at hc.reslifecommittee@gmail.com or if of a confidential nature Marianne Smith, Director of Residential Life (610-896-1298 or msmith@haverford.edu).

Off-Campus Housing

First-year students and new students (transfers and exchanges) must receive their dean’s permission to live off campus.

Upper-class students may live off campus and are asked to notify the Director of Residential Life in writing (email is fine) of their intention to do so by the deadline stated in the Room Draw Rules for the semester in question.

All students choosing to live off campus must also notify the Business Office (Barbara Wilson, Students Accounts,  bwilson@haverford.edu). Because room and board fees are refunded on a pro rata basis, notification to the Business Office must be made prior to the start of the semester to insure that a full refund is given.

All students living off campus are required to provide and keep updated their off-campus address in their student record in Bionic.

Students with questions should contact the Office of Residential Life (Chase Hall, room 213, 610-896-1298 or hc-reslife@haverford.edu).

Office of the Dean of the College