Eating Disorders

If an eating disorder such as bulimia, anorexia, or compulsive eating is suspected, students can call Haverford Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) or Health Services.  Counselors and the head of the Health Services Catherine Sharbaugh will be able to talk to students who are concerned about a friend who is worrying them about his or her eating behaviors. The Health Services also has a registered nutritionist, Nicole Patience ( to help with nutritional concerns. Students who are concerned about their own eating issues and body image, of course, should reach out either to CAPS or Health Services.

At both Bryn Mawr and Haverford there is an Eating Issues and Body Image group.  These groups have the purpose of organizing preventive and educational programming around these issues; students and members of the deans’ staffs attend these meetings.  At Bryn Mawr there is a support group for students with eating issues. If you’d like more information, contact Haverford Health Services, Haverford Counseling and Psychological Services, or the Bryn Mawr Infirmary.

Office of the Dean of the College