Campus Safety Policies

Questions about these policies may be directed to Campus Safety

Alcohol, Drug and Firearm Policies
Haverford complies with all federal, state, and local laws, including those that regulate the possession, use, and sale of alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, and firearms.

Building Access
Officers of the Campus Safety Department are responsible for locking and unlocking campus buildings according to the scheduled use of these buildings during the academic year as well as for special events.  Employees’ access to the institution’s facilities is on an “as-needed” basis, and incorporates strict card access and key control procedures.  Visitors to the campus seeking access to facilities must do so through an individual host, the sponsoring department, Campus Safety, or the Events Office.

During low-occupancy periods such as school breaks and vacations, the Campus Safety Department regularly checks and patrols the residence halls.  During periods that buildings are not occupied, they are secured in such a manner that a student’s OneCard and key will not unlock the doors.  Entrance to these specially secured buildings is by request to the Department, and upon proper identification only.

Access to Haverford’s residence facilities is limited to those with proper authorization.  The Dean’s staff, employees of the Facilities Management, Housekeepers, and Campus Safety personnel may only enter individual rooms on specific business.

Card Access and privileges to academic areas such as labs are granted by the academic department heads and are maintained by Campus Safety. Access hours to these academic areas are determined by each individual department and are subject to change.

Lab/Office keys are issued by Facilities Management (after approval by Campus Safety), but they may only be distributed upon the receipt of an official request form signed by the lab professor or department head. A key deposit fee of $25.00 will be billed to the student’s account. The key must be returned by the end of the academic year in order to have the deposit refunded.

Facilities Management
The staff of Facilities Management maintains Haverford’s buildings and grounds with an eye toward safety and security concerns.  They regularly inspect all outdoor lighting, equipment, and locks to ensure their safe operation.  Campus Safety also reports unsafe conditions and potential safety hazards, such as broken windows, defective locks, or burned-out lights, to Facilities Management personnel. If you want to know still more about safety and crime prevention (and who doesn’t?), you can contact Campus Safety at 610-896-1111 or stop by.  Even if it’s 3:30 in the morning, you can get information about crime statistics and such because they’re available 24 hours a day.  Easier still, you can go to

Fire Safety Policies
When the building fire alarm system activates, occupants are required to leave the building immediately.  A representative from Campus Safety will advise you when it is safe to return to the building.

The College is required by state law to keep fire alarm systems in operation at all times, anyone who tampers with the system is subverting the law putting other students in danger and is violating College policy.

It is a violation of the Haverford Township Fire Code and College Policy to interfere with the operation of any fire alarm system.  This includes covering or otherwise preventing the proper operation of any smoke detector or fire alarm system. Thus, the construction of any type of temporary partition, particularly in HCA, is prohibited. Partitions like this are an obstruction to the coverage of the sprinkler head.  It would be possible for a fire to start in a partitioned area where the sprinkler head is obstructed and the fire could gain sufficient headway to render the sprinkler system ineffective.

At Haverford College, the burning of candles, use of halogen lamps and large electrical appliances are prohibited in College housing.

If anyone in a student’s room or apartment smokes, always use well-balanced, fireproof ashtrays — never a wastebasket or any combustible container.  Before leaving the room or going to bed, make sure there are no burning materials in ashtrays or wastebaskets.  Never smoke in bed — a cigarette burning into a mattress causes just the kind of smoldering fire that kills without warning.

College residence halls are not designed to handle high-wattage appliances.  The use of illegal hot-plates, large refrigerators (in dorms without kitchens), and other major electrical appliances can easily overload the electrical system.  An electrical fire can burn for hours unnoticed in the wall before breaking through and feeding on the oxygen and combustibles in the room.  Only safe, low-wattage appliances may be used in College-housing:  razors, lamps, radios, televisions, stereos, computers, electric blankets, thermostatically controlled coffee makers and the like. Appliances such as coffeepots and hot water heaters should have automatic shut-offs.

Halogen lamps are not allowed by the College. These lamps and exposed light bulbs have been a source of serious college fires.  They have the potential to easily ignite wood, paper, and cloth.  Another source of fires has been overloaded electrical outlets caused by using extension cords or gang electrical strips.  Students should never crush plugs or wires against electrical outlets with beds or other furnishings.

The College does not prohibit the burning of incense at this time, but it should be used with care.  Burning incense should not be placed on or next to combustible surfaces or left unattended.  Not everyone enjoys the smell of incense and the smoke may be an irritant to those with allergies.  Students should always check with fellow dorm area residents before using incense.

A fire can be contained in a small area for a long period of time if the doors around the area are closed.  Students should never wedge the fire doors open.

Fireworks, Firearms, Ammunition, Weapons and Explosives
The possession, use or distribution of fireworks, explosives, ammunition, firearms, and other weapons such as knives and swords is expressly prohibited by the College.  The College defines firearms as any projectile firing device, especially those that are capable of causing harm to persons or damage to property.  This includes but is not limited to conventional firearms (devices using gunpowder), all types of air rifles, BB, pellet and dart guns, any slingshot devices, tasers or stun guns.

No knives of any kind, with the exception of knives specifically designated for preparing meals, are allowed on campus. This exception applies only for students off the full meal plan, who also live in one of the residential buildings with a kitchen (HCA, 710 College Ave, and the Ira DeA Reid House).

Missing Persons
If a member of the College community has reason to believe that a student or community resident is missing – whether they reside on or off campus, contact Campus Safety immediately 610-896-1111 (or in person at Campus Safety). Reports of a missing person made to Campus Safety will generate a missing person report and initiate an investigation.  (Students can also report missing persons to the Dean’s Office).

Campus Safety will investigate reports and contact the Dean’s Office, Student Health Services and Counseling and Psychological Services.  For International students, the Director of International Student Services will be notified as well.

After investigating the missing person report, should Campus Safety determine that the student is missing and has been missing for more than 24 hours (or sooner if circumstances warrant it), Haverford College will notify the Haverford Police Department and/or the Lower Merion Police Department no later than 24 hours after the student is determined to be missing.  They will also notify the contact person that has been designated by the student. If the missing student is under the age of 18, Haverford College will notify the student’s parent or legal guardian immediately after Campus Safety has determined that the student has been missing for more than 24 hours.

Motor Vehicles
The information here is excerpted from the Haverford College Motor Vehicle Handbook, which is published by Campus Safety.  All students (especially students living in HCA, or staying at Haverford over the summer) should familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations in that publication.

All students, except resident first-year students, are permitted to have a motor vehicle on campus.  All cars and motorcycles must be registered with Campus Safety.  Typically, vehicles are registered at non-academic registration prior to the beginning of classes; however, if a vehicle is brought to the campus at a later date, it must be registered with Campus Safety within 24 hours of arrival or be ticketed or towed.  Vehicles in HCA must be registered as with any other location on campus.

Bryn Mawr College and Haverford College do not have enough space for parking to accommodate the large number of students who wish to commute to classes on the other campus.  The Blue Bus system was created to facilitate students’ transportation between the Colleges, and as such, any vehicle registered at one college will be ticketed or towed if found at the other.

Registered vehicles must bear a registration sticker in the rear-most side-window of the driver’s side. Temporary registration is available for $5 per week for vehicles on campus.  Unregistered vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense and are subject to fines.

Parking areas available to students are in the main lot south of Marshall Fine Arts Center, along sections of Carter and Walton Roads, or on Hannum Drive.  If in doubt as to which parking areas may be used by students, consult the Motor Vehicle Handbook and map.

OneCard IDs
Access to residence areas and many academic areas require an authenticated ‘OneCard’

Card Access keycards are issued by Campus Safety. While the initial card is free, there is a fee for replacing a lost card ($15 for the 1st and all subsequent replacements).

Policy on Reporting Criminal Behavior
Students are expected to contact Campus Safety immediately if they witness or are subject to crimes against College property (burglary, vandalism), nonviolent crimes (theft and fraud) and victimless crimes, violent crimes against persons involving assault and armed robbery; call Campus Safety.  If the township police need to be contacted, Campus Safety will do so (although anyone is free to contact the police directly at 911).

No one except College-authorized personnel is allowed on a roof or ledge of any residence hall, or those of any other campus buildings and structures. Because of the risk of serious bodily injury or death, failure to comply may jeopardize a student’s right either to remain in current College housing or to obtain such housing in the future.  Any student found on the roof or ledge of a College building or structure, will, in addition, be subject to a fine of $250. Other sanctions may also apply.

Search and Seizure/Expectation of Privacy
Campus Safety is respectful of your reasonable expectation of privacy.  Campus Safety will not enter a student’s room unless there is an invitation to enter or emergency circumstances (probable cause to believe a crime is being committed inside, possible fire, screams of distress, medical emergencies, danger to the community, checking on the well-being of a student, etc.).  However, if an officer is in a place he or she has a right to be, anything in plain view that is contraband (in and of itself illegal or prohibited to possess) or evidence of a crime will be confiscated.

The College discourages students from bringing smoking devices into dorm rooms and apartments. Such items include, but are not limited to: pipes, water pipes, bongs or hookahs.  Although these devices are not, per se, illegal, the possession of paraphernalia in conjunction with drugs or drug residue is prohibited.

If reasonable suspicion exists that possession of smoking devices or other drug paraphernalia are being used in conjunction with drugs or drug residue, it/they will be confiscated by Campus Safety.


Office of the Dean of the College