- Watch the final season of Boardwalk Empire. And lambast HBO for canceling the series prematurely. It’s an outrage.
- Give thought to your ideal # of sleep hours for school nights and establish a bedtime and a wake-up time. No more varying your bedtime/wake-up time based on when your classes start. That’s so freshman year.
- Get to know the people you’re living with and near, and discuss preferences and community standards for shared living spaces.
- Make sure you know the Dorm Resource Person in your building.
- Join the Residential Life Committee at weekly meetings (email email@example.com for more information).
- Attend the Student Activities Fair to sign up for clubs and student organizations.
- Begin cultivating a relationship with your new dean.
- Get in touch with your adviser. Schedule a standing meeting for the semester. Discuss plans for your major and course options.
- Attend Sopho-More or Less to combat the dreaded sophomore slump! 9/4 7:30-9pm
- Blueprint your semester! Don’t know what that means? Get in touch with the office in the next bullet.
- Consider attending:
Office of Academic Resources:
- The Digital Scholarship Fellowship
Sophomores and Juniors who will be on campus for the 2014-15 academic year are invited to apply for the Digital Scholarship Fellowship this fall. This year’s fellows will actively participate in a project in collaboration with Haverford professor @Paul_Farber exploring 21st century monuments, which includes the opportunity to design a “Monument Lab” near Philadelphia’s City Hall. The fellowship is a year-long collaborative fellowship in which fellows engage in a series of workshops where they develop skills in the use of technology for scholarly questions and collaboratively plan, develop, and build their project. Fellows will emerge from the program with a broad technical foundation, experience undertaking a yearlong collaborative project, and strategies for engaging with technology in senior thesis work and future projects at Haverford and beyond. Please submit your application for the fellowship at ds.haverford.edu/dsfellows by Monday, September 8.
- Register for the Sophomore Success Series beginning 9/17; alternatively, register for the two-day intensive version, Fall Break Career Lab
- Review the Sophomore section of the Center for Career & Professional Advising [CCPA]’s Four Year Timeline
- Attend Fords on Fridays, a series of alumni career chats held most Fridays at noon in the CCPA
- Pursue leadership roles on campus – either through clubs, athletic teams and/or campus committees
- If employed, speak with your supervisor about additional responsibilities and/or a more defined role with clear objectives and project assignments
- “Hee Sook Kim: The Spiritual Garden” Opening Talk & Reception, 9/5 4:30-7:30pm
- Rufus Jones Leadership Class, 9/9 (deadline to register/apply 9/4)
- CPGC Fall Break Trip to Cape Town, South Africa for the Nobel Peace Laureates Summit, application deadline: 9/10
- WAKE – Screening & Conversation with HC’s Summer 2014 Interdisciplinary Documentary Media Fellows, 9/10 7-8pm
- CPGC Student Funding Deadline: 9/14
- CPGC Digital Storytelling Workshop – 9/11, 9/18, & 9/25, 6-10pm
- International Peace Day in the CPGC Café, 9/20 9am-5pm
If Considering Study Abroad:
- Join Dr. Peter Claus, as he visits from Oxford Universityto speak to former visiting students and students interested in studying abroad in Oxford! 9/8 4-5:30pm
- A Taste of Study Abroad: International Dessert Reception,9/15 4-7pm
- Mandatory Study Abroad Info Session,9/18 6:30-8pm