Michael Patterson-Carver

Michael Patterson-Carver
Same Sex Marriage 2
2007
Ink and Pencil on Paper
Courtesy of Laurel Gitlen Gallery, New York

Brief History by Michael

I was born in Chicago, on July 9th, in 1958. My mother’s heroin addiction led to estrangement from her family, and, when I was 5 years old, she gave me to a family that she felt could give my sister and me a future. One result of this was that one of my earlier childhood memories is of standing in an African-American church during the civil rights struggle (1962 or so). This turned out to be one of the most influential and formative experiences of my youth. I have spent a lifetime involved in political activism, working for causes ranging from protecting the environment to social justice including, the late opposition to the “Patriot Act” (so-called), and opposition to the BUSH REGIME. In the course of my life and activism, I have learned a few things- including the fact that in order to succeed at anything the first step you must take is to BELIEVE. This is the reason that everyone in my demonstration scenes is smiling- they are confident of success. The future is not something that just happens to us- we are in the act of creating it as you read this. Let’s make it a good one!

Michael Patterson-Carver

Lives and works in Portland, Oregon

Exhibitions
2009

Small A Projects, New York, September 2009
Diabolique, Dunlop Art Gallery, Regina, Saskatchewan, Galerie de L’UQAM, Montreal, Canada; Military Museums, Calgary, Canada
Salvador Diaz Gallery, Madrid (curated by Rikrit Tiravanija)
Sorry We’re Closed, Brussels, Belgium

2008

Say Goodbye To . . . , Clifford Gallery, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
2008 Altoids Award, The New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York
Ambivalent Figuration, Samson Projects, Boston, MA
State of the Union, Small A Projects, Portland, Oregon (solo)

2007

White Columns, New York
Memorial to the Iraq War, ICA London (with Harrell Fletcher)

Bibliography

Dexter, Emma, “Michael Patterson-Carver” in Dietrich, Lucas, ed., 60: Innovators Shaping Our Creative Future, edited by Lucas Dietrich, London: Thames and Hudson, 2009.
Sanders, Gabriel, “Trader Joe’s Treasure,” The Forward, July 2008.
Yim, Su-jin, “Political Artist Moves in Higher Circles” (Michael Patterson-Carver), The Oregonian, April 2008.
Vogel, Carol, “Inside Art: Altoids Award” (Michael Patterson-Carver), New York Times, March 2008.
Yim, Su-jin, “An Artist, Discovered” (Michael Patterson-Carver), The Oregonian, August 2007.