please don’t stop the music

Soon, I will post a rundown of my first week on the job, pictures from my first intimate moments with the Pacific Ocean, and a bunch of interesting facts from the reading I’ve been doing, but for now, I need to vent a little bit.

At Wednesday’s NSI lunch, I had the pleasure of meeting Carol Krumhansl, a psychology professor at Cornell who does work in music cognition and knows Marilyn Boltz! Towards the end of lunch, we exchanged information because she had been talking about a performance at UCSD.  It was going to include a simultaneous performance of John Cage’s 45′ for a speaker and his 27’10.4554″ for a percussionist, called 51’15.657″ for a speaking percussionist. I decided to leave NSI and go home for a quick dinner before returning to UCSD for 7:00. I figured that leaving NSI at 5:00 would give me enough time to do this.

Unfortunately, San Diego rush hour traffic lengthened what would have been a 20 minute drive to 90 minutes. I called Professor Krumhansl with my regretful apology because I was certainly not going to make it to this performance. It would have been my first exposure to John Cage in the live setting! And I am sure it was going to spark an interesting conversation with Krumhansl about rehearsing this piece which employs both music and language because she brought that up at lunch. During our short phone exchange, we decided to keep in touch about future performances of interest, so I hope that I learn to navigate the traffic and my schedule well enough by then to follow through with my attendance.

I took a picture of the traffic from my car but the angle is kind of weird so here is this one from the New York Times website. It is pretty lovely to burn an unwieldy amount of gas while chillin’ in a highway standstill. But funnily enough, traffic jams never bothered me before because I was never in the driver’s seat. Often, I’d be too busy reading a book or acting as car DJ to notice. In fact, I often preferred these longer car rides so I could get that many more pages read or that much farther down the playlist. Not so when you’re the driver. And as for music, all I had was the radio today, so I was listening to all of the San Diego versions of New York stations, shouting “oh oh ohoh oh-oh, oh my god.”

And all of this came the day after another failed attempt at attending a concert due to my age. “San Diego’s Best Live Venue,” The Belly Up,  is 21+, and they were host to (what I’m sure was) a great show Wednesday evening. On my first day at NSI, Ani informed me of a music therapy benefit concert that several of his co-workers were attending. After reading the artist descriptions on the invitation, I grew even more interested. Alas, if the event were one week later, I would have been able to attend.

At least I just downloaded this new mash-up album from Major Lazer and La Roux called “Lazerproof.” It adds something new to my musical arsenal after this week’s upsets.