birdman (healthy, wealthy, and wise)

So my first flight was excellent and complete with a turkey dog “wrapped in dough” (quite a way with words, Stefano Foods), Tony Hawk (San Diego native, professional skateboarder), naps, and wonderful scenes from the wing-side window seat (good advice, Scott).

My first afternoon/evening in SD started with a short tour of downtown from Haverford alum Jay Smith ’73 (daughter Lauren is HC ’04) who is housing me with his wife Penny. He was kind enough, in true Haverford style, to pick me up at the airport, wearing a Haverford t-shirt and his class ring. Nice! We then stopped at Vons (the West Coast’s answer to Safeway a version of Safeway) to buy hors d’oeuvres and some other finishing touches for my welcome dinner. The three of us have spent the past three and a half hours or so getting acclimated and eating our fill. I can tell already that this is going to be a wonderful home to call my own for the next ten weeks or so.

I’m about to put a dent in my clothes organization, but as you know, my body’s striking midnight while the Pacific Coast is like no, lady, it is 9:00. So early to bed, early to rise am I.