Four Days in Paradise (And How Work Followed Me There)

This past week Mara and I went to Mazunte, Oaxaca, for a short but replenishing visit to the beach. The landscape of this quiet town is rocky coast surrounding a small inlet with a few small restaurants and hostel type accommodations.

Within the first couple hours on the beach, just after ordering breakfast, I see a familiar-seeming face just a few beach chairs away from us. I turn to Mara, “No way. I think that’s my old boss.” Sure enough, after a few sneaky side-glances to corroborate my suspicions, I hear the bellowing laugh that I knew so well from 3 summers ago working for the Legal Aid Justice Center in Fairfax, Virginia. “Arnoldo?” I cry, and he responds, “Katy?” with a big laugh. We talk and catch each other up on the migrant issues on either side of the border, and plan to meet up in Mexico City the next week so I can accompany him to Tochan. Crazy, but not so crazy coincidences. Still, he’s one person I never expected to see on the semi-deserted Oaxacan coast that morning.

Here are some pictures from the trip:

image_1

This was our favorite swimming spot. There were barely any people and the waves were perfect.

photo 1 We woke up every morning to a glorious panorama of the Pacific.

image_3

We took hikes at sunset to the rocky point called Punto Cometa.image_2For breakfast, I ate homemade multigrain chocolate-plantain bread.

photo (8)

Needless to say, we’re already aching for a chance to go back.