30 Weeks into My Post-Bac Year: A Photo Essay

One of the hardest questions to answer while I was back home in February was, “What is a typical day like for you?” This last week is a great example of how dynamic, unpredictable and formative each day really is while working at the Casa. Rotating between shifts in reception and long bike rides, cultural excursions, art classes and committee projects, long breakfast conversations with guests, volunteer dinners and team reflections. These photos don’t begin to capture all of what happened, but they capture, in one way or another, the transcendence of my experience working in the Casa. I’m on a high right now, working on new projects daily and pushing myself hard, trying to find time to do everything .. (Have I mentioned how BIG Mexico City is? How many people there are? How many things to do?)

So here are some photos to represent a new-found balance and independence in my last few weeks in Mexico City.

Jacaranda trees in full bloom.

Here, in the Condesa neighborhood, in a park very close to where I have been researching at Casa Refugio, the jacaranda trees are in full bloom.

Bertha's Brithday Celebration!

After the Quaker Meeting for Workship, we gather around to sing Las Mañanitas (Happy Birthday) to Bertha, one of the full-time volunteers. (Can you tell how very excited she was?)

Film screening at the Casita last Sunday.

An event at the Casita in Parque Ramón López Velarde. Migrantes LGBT screened “The Bubble,” an Israeli film about two men–one Israeli and the other Palestinian–who fall in love.

Cinemoneda abril

I worked on some writing, research, and as per usual, making some Casa posters for upcoming events. Our next two Cinemoneda film screenings will focus on migration through the lens of economic justice.

Cruisin' in the Nico-mobile: Helping out old friends.

Nico and I hauled some mattresses and futons over to the house of an Irani family. Four years ago they were guests through the Casa’s Solidarity Lodging program, and still they face hardship each day and are unsure about their future in Mexico. When they recently had to move to a new apartment without any furniture, they found themselves having to sleep on the floor. With three kids, it was been extremely difficult to survive, but regardless they have still managed to make it their duty to supply numerous other Irani refugees with support in finding housing, jobs and social networks.

20140321-093127.jpg

At my printmaking class I tested my latest linoleum print. It’s of Antonia Mondragón of the Flor de Mazahua women’s cooperative.

Have a great weekend everyone!