Exhibit Dates: Friday, March 19 - Friday, April 30, 2010. Opening Reception: Friday, March 19, 2010, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Art in America - Nov 09

How funny! Just after Faye Hirsch from Art in America comes to speak on campus, I sit down to open the magazine’s November issue and find not one – but two (!) relevant articles to Mapping Identity.

On Page 91 -” Peninsula View”, Sarah Valdez covers “Your Bright Future: 12 Contemporary Artists from Korea” at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, featuring Do Ho Suh, one of our invited artists. The show first opened at LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) and is continuing in Houston from Nov. 21 – Feb. 14, 2010.

I found out about YBF when I was browsing through exhibit catalogs at the Centre Pompidou bookstore  in Paris last spring . I remember finding the whole show very exciting. At that point, I could only name Nam June Paik as THE one Korean artist who really made a name for himself in the international art sphere, but as this exhibit clearly illustrates, there are a number of Korean contemporary artists receiving international recognition and one of them will be on our very own campus! Does that not thrill anyone else??!

Flip ahead to page 121 and find Benjamin Genocchio’s “In the Heat of the Moment”, documenting the surprising success of Iranian art that has been extremely visible in just the past few years (will cover more of that in another post). Visiting a number of exhibits solely dedicated to Iranian and other Middle Eastern artists such as Shirin Neshat, Farhad Moshiri, and Shiva Ahmada helped me a lot while I was just beginning to learn about the changing notion of national identity and why it’s such a big deal in contemporary art these days…

Last but not least…page 195 Faye Hirsch’s review on the Michael Smith and Mike Kelley show at the SculptureCenter. Now, if I could only get that image of Smith in his cotton diaper out of my head…