It has been a while since I posted but it has been a busy last week. We finished up the first half of the experiment. We conducted surgery on the 27 lizards that had been part of the experiment so far to remove the micro-data loggers and download the data. These loggers monitored their temperature for 35 days. Post-surgery all of the lizards are going to be released where they were caught. We just got back from our trip to return most of the lizards, all of the ones that had enough recovery time since surgery to be released this week. We drove to Arizona where they were caught, camped and released them. Since we don’t start field work with the second half of the lizards until Tuesday we did some traveling. I will post a bunch of entries with pictures and information about the locations we visited.
As we approach monsoon season here in New Mexico, the tarantulas are becoming more active and we have to check the enclosures for them every morning before we start. The tarantulas won’t eat the lizards but they are capable of biting them.