As a senior coming back from a spring abroad, there is one thing I am most looking forward to this year: going out and exploring Philly.

Though it seems strange that during my last year as a Haverford College student, and especially after coming back from a semester away, I would want to get off of campus, Philly is Haverford’s greatest untapped resource.  Not only is Philly exploding with generally awesome stuff to do (a very underrated city in my opinion), being in a noisy city allows you to appreciate the quaint aspects of Haverford the city doesn’t have.  As fun as going into the city is when I literally.cannot.handle.another.Lunt.party., when I come back, all I want to do is cozy up in my bed with a cup of hot coffee and a book, and see the tree-lined paths and my fellow Fords.  Haverford is home, but Philly is that cool, older babysitter you always wanted to be like when you grow up.

So, now that we have established that going into Philly is definitely The Thing To Do, what is there to do??? Don’t worry, my friend, you have come to the right place.  Here is a some pretty cool opportunity just a 20 minute train ride away (and a free one at that if you sign up for a Septa ticket from our office!):

Art. Yep, you should go see some art while you are in Philly. Be fancy and cultured, I know you want to. But instead of going to the PMA like every Intro Art History class, we’ll go out of the box. Let’s try some hipster art. Ok, so before I make you gag too much, hear me out.  I found this thing on Tumblr (please keep reading, I know you hate me a lot right now and think this is some sick joke): Erin M. Riley’s Taboo Tapestry.  Sound like a joke? Nope. This totally awesome, badass weaving chick constructs controversial pictures with a loom. A freaking loom.  If you are not intrigued, I hate you. No, but seriously, check out this stuff.  She weaves images about sexuality, selfies, criminals, drug use, whatever controversial topic we have PAFs about (selfie PAF???, should we make this happen? no?), she has the threads for it. Look at these:

These.
Are.
Made.
With.
A.
Loom.
I will not apologize for my excitement. So, now you must be almost as excited as me- let’s get some details:
Her work will be shown at the Paradigm Gallery in Philly (803 S. 4th St.) from August 30th-October 12th.
Go!!!
Go!!! Now!
  • image Note
  • Leigh Kloss is currently a Junior at Haverford College. She is a Psychology major and Gender and Sexuality Studies and History of Art minor. When she is not working at the fabulous Student Activities Office, she enjoys rapping to Nicki Minaj, watching Mean Girls, and shopping at Trader Joe's.

• 13 September 2013
  • Featured, The Latest
  • ,
  • 0 comment