Photo from the recent haVOC weekend backpacking trip (photo credit: Dan Feller).

It has been such a hectic past few weeks! Midterms, a last minute trip home last weekend to see the Yankees, MORE MIDTERMS, and some yoga. Life’s been crazy. FAB took 50 people apple picking last weekend, and I heard that the Lighted Fools gave a great performance too. Anyways the semesters all ready half way over, and its time for fall break. Now, I normally spend my breaks in my humble abode located in the quiet hamlet of Dobbs Ferry, New York, but this break I am heading to Europe with my Transitional Economics class! It should be a really interesting week; we are going to Belgium and Frankfurt to visit the European Commission and the European Central Bank. I think it is perfect timing for an economics trip to Europe, since the outcome of the Euro economic crisis has such a large impact on the rest of the world.

But I digress. I’m not writing this blog to tell you about Europe, I want to tell you about all the events going on on campus once we get BACK from fall break. Classes resume October 17th, and that night the observatory will be open for a public viewing. Additionally, Professor Charles Eisenstein of Goddard College will be coming to talk about his new book Sacred Economics: Money, Gift, and Society in the Age of Transition. Later in the week, on October 20th, Jennifer Beer, an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Texas, Austin, will be coming to Haverford to lecture about “Positive Illusions of the Self.” That night, the seniors will hold their annual fundraiser the senior auction (I’m hoping to nab some FAB event tickets or a back massage if they are available). On Friday, October 21st, things get real busy. FAB will be showing the seventh Harry Potter Part 2 (you can watch your childhood end again); Open Mic is on for 8pm; Counterpoint A Cappella will be performing as well at 8pm; and at 10:30pm, Sunny Ali and the Kid, and Dry Feet will be performing in Lunt Basement! In the afternoon on Saturday, FAB will be taking 50 people to the Magic Gardens, and the Men’s and Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Teams will be hosting their annual Haverween tournament on featherbed fields. In the evening, FAB will show Harry Potter again, and the Alliance of Latin American Students (ALAS) will be hosting La Fiesta in Founders Hall (I hear that there will be a live salsa band!).

There is SO MUCH to look forward to after fall break. But I hope everyone enjoys the week off. This is a great time to relax and take a breath before jumping back into the fray of college life. Safe travels home and good luck with any work you may have left.

• image Note
  • Jacob Lowy ’14 is a Political Science major at Haverford College. He is a co-president of the Haverford Students' Council, former captain and current member of the Haverford Men’s Ultimate Frisbee Team and also plays violin. Jacob works for the Haverford Student Activities Office. In his free time, Jacob enjoys running, reading historical fiction, playing FIFA and watching the NBA.

• 6 October 2011
  • Featured, The Latest
  • 0 comment