My mom is thinking about coming to Haverford tomorrow. Not to see me though, she’s much more interested in seeing Fresh Air host and executive producer Terry Gross.  My parents are your typical NPR loving old folk. They stream in radio shows at 4 in the morning because they can. They took me to see A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor a few years ago because “everybody needs to hear the News from Lake Wobegon.”  For as long as I can remember, I’ve spent numerous lengthy car rides listening to Car Talk and Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me. My mom dreams of Carl Kasell’s voice on her home phone answering machine. So of course, Terry Gross and Fresh Air are also a big deal.

Gross will be speaking about her experiences as a radio journalist at 7:30pm in Marshall Auditorium, as well as conducting a pre-lecture workshop earlier in the day entitled “Asking the Right Questions: An Evening with Terry Gross.” I, along with 14 other students, will be attending that workshop and I cannot wait to meet her.

Gross, who works for WHYY-FM in Philadelphia, has hosted Fresh Air since 1987. While Gross does ask tough questions in her interviews, she is also known for her warm, inviting interviewing style, where she creates an atmosphere of conversation rather than interrogation. Recent interviews on Fresh Air include, Brad Pitt and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Ron Suskind. Gross has in the past interviewed guests such as Kiss lead singer Gene Simmons, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly, Al Franken, and Lynne Cheney (the conservative author and wife of former Vice President Dick Cheney). In 1993, Gross received the George Foster Peabody Award for her work as a radio host.

More to come after the event!

• image Note
  • Jacob Lowy ’14 is a Political Science major at Haverford College. He is a co-president of the Haverford Students' Council, former captain and current member of the Haverford Men’s Ultimate Frisbee Team and also plays violin. Jacob works for the Haverford Student Activities Office. In his free time, Jacob enjoys running, reading historical fiction, playing FIFA and watching the NBA.

• 22 September 2011
  • Featured, The Latest
  • 1 Comment
  1. Following up:

Meeting Terry last Friday was a fantastic experience! I had the opportunity to ask her about how she is able to create a comfortable environment for the person she is interviewing. She shared a story about one of her early experiences when she was being interviewed. Her interviewer asked her what she had wanted to be when she grew up, and she responded “a lyricist.” The interviewer said, “Tell me something interesting.” Gross says that the way to create a rich and interesting interview is to dig deeper into people’s history and thoughts based on their initial answers. So the answer “a lyricist,” generates so many more questions that can be asked, such as “Why? What type of songs would you write? Have you written lyrics? Which writers inspire you?” and so on. Showing interest in what people have to say is a simple way to make them feel comfortable.

Jacob Lowy '14