Foodie on a Budget: Part 1

So living on a budget and having eating/drinking out be one of your favorite pastimes are not things I thought would be compatible for me in Philadelphia this year. And yes, I have definitely splurged on a particularly cool locally brewed beer or freshly baked cupcake a little too often. But something I have been pleasantly surprised with thus far is the number of otherwise pricey places that offer specials on a somewhat regular basis for the thriftier foodies out there.

Two of the great specials that some of my housemates and I have taken advantage of so far are Center City Sips and the Baltimore Avenue Dollar Stroll.

Center City Sips is a happy hour (5-7pm) Wednesday night special during the summers where you can go to a participating Center City bar and get half priced appetizers, $3 beer, $4 wine, and $5 cocktails. This week a bunch of us went to 13 Restaurant where we had some delicious refreshments outside with live music.

The Dollar Stroll was really cool because it gave us the chance to try out a lot of restaurants that are really close to us for really cheap. Basically, during the Dollar Stroll you can walk down Baltimore and try some $1 specials at restaurants that you might not be able to afford to go to otherwise. My favorite specials? Probably the WHYY ice cream scoop from Milk and Honey Market and the vegan hot dog from Gold Standard Café.

This entry was posted in What's New. Bookmark the permalink.