Where They’re Headed: Rebecca Schwartz '13

In the first installment of a new Haverblog series about the post-graduation plans of the Class of 2013, Rebecca Schwartz ’13 discusses her impending City Year in New York.

Linguistics major Rebecca Schwartz ’13 will begin her post-graduate journey as an AmeriCorps member, working in New York with the City Year program, which aims to lower dropout rates in public schools. As an AmeriCorps member, Schwartz explains, “I’ll serve as a mentor and tutor, and I’ll help to lead various school programs—for example, clubs and homework help groups.”

Rebecca Schwartz '13 giving a tour to prospective students on Open Campus Day 2013.
Rebecca Schwartz ’13 giving a tour to prospective students on Open Campus Day 2013.

Schwartz, who is awaiting word on her school placement for the upcoming year, feels that her liberal arts education has prepared her well for the journey ahead. “I believe that Haverford has taught me to listen and observe respectfully—and critically—to ask tough questions, and to prioritize communication,” she says.
As a Haverford student, Schwartz also took advantage of the opportunities offered outside of the classroom. While studying abroad in Australia, for example, she volunteered with the language immersion program UCan2, which supports young immigrants and refugees. After returning to Haverford, she took a series of language acquisition and education courses while volunteering with local English and ESL classes.
Looking ahead, Schwartz is confident in her pursuit of meaningful and challenging work. She explains that Haverford has taught her “academic and humanitarian interests need not be mutually exclusive, and that my academic background can, and should, serve my community and help to build connections among the people I encounter.”

“Where They’re Headed” is a series of occasional blog posts reporting on the post-Haverford plans of members of the Class of 2013.