Did you know?
- It takes 15 million barrels of oil per year to make all of the plastic water bottles used in the United States.*
- 15 million barrels of oil would be enough to run 1.5 million cars on U.S. roadways for an entire year.**
- Only 20% of those bottles are recycled, the rest end up in landfills.*
- The bottles that drift from landfills and litter streams are washing out to the Pacific Ocean and have formed a huge “raft” that is twice the size of Texas.*
- It takes 1,000 years for a plastic bottle to break down in a landfill.**
That’s not all folks…
- The US consumes 100 billion plastic shopping bags.**
- That translates into 12 million barrels of oil.**
- Worldwide it is estimated that 1 trillion bags are used.**
- Translate that and you end up with 120 million barrels of oil.**
- Oil is used in the manufacturing process in making bottles and bags.
- Consider using a reusable water bottle.
- Hook up a purifier to a water faucet.
- Purchase cloth or reusable bags.
The Haverford College Bookstore sells reusable bags and water bottles!
*Source: E Magazine May/June 2008