The Committee for Environmental Responsibility was pretty busy this fall. Below are some highlights.
Haverford College Apartments (HCA) Student Garden
- Garden was expanded and raised beds installed.
- Bumper crop of vegetables this year. Produce includeded beets, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, peas, herbs, beans and potatoes.
- Student worker position position created to tend garden during summer months when students aren’t here.
- Composting was revisited at Haverford College Apartments.
- A more permanant structure was installed and composting buckets were distributed to participating apartments.
- Still working on making dining center composting more sustainable.
- Students educated on proper ways to compost.
Green Purchasing Document
- Document drafted and submitted to President Emerson and Senior Staff for approval.
- Provides Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) guidelines for Haverford employees.
Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) Sustainability Tracking, Assesment and Ratings System (STARS)
- Haverford became a Charter Participant in the AASHE/STARS program.
- STARS is a transparent, delf reporting framework for colleges and universities to gauge relative progress toward sustainability.
Goals for Spring 2011.
- All information collected from the AASHE/STARS website, the purchasing document, student environmental groups and anything “green,” will be posted on the new site.
- Our third year participating.
- Finding more sustainable and low cost ways of composting on campus.
Green Office Program
- Developing a program to both gather information and teach offices on campus how they can be more environmentally friendly.
Deveraux Bike Program
- Donating abandoned student bikes to the Devereux Foundation.
- Devereux’s bike program focuses on assisting developmentally disabled individuals in the acquisition of the skills needed to secure successful competitive employment in the community.
- Inviting Devereux back to campus for a “bike sale.” Rehabbed bikes will be available for sale to faculty, staff and students.
- First sale will be March 30, 2010.
- Looking to add to the existing panels on the Fine Arts Center.
- Looking into the feasibility of installing charging stations for electric cars on campus.
Carbon Credit Fund
- Looking into the feasibility of creating a carbon credit fund to support green projects on campus.