Summer Internship Opportunity: Weavers Way in Philadelphia

Guest post by Morgana Warner-Evans ’16:

Spend your summer doing urban farming with Weavers Way Community Programs in Phialdelphia, as a CPGC-funded intern! Working at Weavers Way will offer the intern experience with small scale, diversified organic vegetable production and the opportunity to develop skills as an educator with different types of student groups.

547320_10151951623878274_878445672_n

“I definitely learned a lot about the specifics of organic, urban farming that I found very valuable, and I look forward to applying those skills to different farming situations in the future,” past intern Sara Jaramillo ’15 said of her experience interning at Weavers Way.

Interns have also found that working at Weavers Way has enhanced their academic experience and awareness of how inequalities play out in the food system. Maya Nojechowicz ’15 said, “My academic and professional interests have expanded to (the areas of food access and food justice). I found a new passion. I plan to work on a farm again in the future, because I loved every minute of it…So far at Haverford much of my academic work has pertained in some way to race in the US, and working at [Weavers Way] has revealed to me how that can be applied to studying food as well.”

Jaramillo stated the benefits of the internship in these words: “It’s fun. You feel like you’re making a difference. You get a chance to be outside working with interesting, compassionate people doing something you wouldn’t otherwise get to do (at Haverford).”

More information can be found here. Apply here. For more information, contact Janice Lion at jlion@hc or speak to any of the following past interns: Maya Nojechowicz ’15, Sara Jaramillo ’15, Ruthie Cartwright ’15, and David Roza ’15.