Summer Internship Profiles: Weavers Way and Michigan Land Use Institute

Guest post by Morgana Warner-Evans ’16:

The CPGC encourages students to take a closer look at two of our amazing summer internship opportunities with social/environmental justice organizations: Michigan Land Use Institute and the Weavers Way Community Programs in Philadelphia.

The Michigan Land Use Institute in beautiful Traverse City, Michigan advocates for local food and farming, walkable communities, environmentally friendly regional planning, and clean energy. At MLUI, an intern will work as a communications assistant, writing about topics such as food, farming and smart growth. Zoe McAlear ‘16 says that, during her internship,“I learned a lot about the communications work that is behind a non-profit organization. I grew a lot as a writer. I had to learn to be comfortable calling people and holding interviews, and then turn a huge quantity of notes and interviews into a concise piece of writing. I think it was really valuable that I was able to expand my writing skills and develop that professional skill set”.

Weaver’s Way Community Programs is located in Philadelphia and teaches children and youth from varied backgrounds about urban farming. Intern duties include working with homeless children and youth at Stenton Family Manor, hosting educational programs at Mort Brooks Memorial Farm, and teaching students to operate a CSA at the Saul High School for Agricultural Sciences. Former Weaver’s Way intern Sara Jaramillo ‘15 says that her internship helped her learn “a lot about the specifics of organic urban farming that I found very valuable. I also feel more confident planning and leading lessons for young children. In addition, I learned a lot about how small nonprofits can operate, and what kind of goals they have and how they reach them”.

The CPGC will fund successful applicants for these internships. Applications can be found here and are due on February 23. For more information, contact past MLUI interns Zoe McAlear ‘16, Claire Perry ‘14, and Marie Greaney ‘14; past Weaver’s Way interns Maya Nojechowicz ’16, Sara Jaramillo ’15, Ruthie Cartwright ’15, and David Roza ’15; and program coordinator Janice Lion at jlion@haverford.edu.