The Scoop on our Garden

Hello Readers,

As I was looking back over my last post a few days ago, I realized that the title, “The Gardening Part of Generative Gardening,” was highly deceptive. In fact, the post doesn’t really talk about gardening at all and focuses, rather, on the nature of the overall project.

To ameliorate that dearth of information, I am now going to talk about the garden itself. This past semester, I started a student group called “The Haverford Garden Initiative” with two other CPGC interns, Peter Block and Fay Strongin. With them, several other students, and the help of Claudia Kent, the Arboretum Manager, we started this garden:

Way back in March, we took the seedlings we had purchased to the campus greenhouse and sowed the seeds in the coal black potting soil used by the Arboretum. Week by week, we saw those seedlings grow – with the help of our sometimes sporadic watering schedule, no doubt—and ultimately put them in the bare ground.

Since, the garden has taken off. As you can see in the picture above, the garden is divided into three sections: two large rectangles and a smaller square (which really looks like an “L” thanks to our negligence in weeding). The large rectangle on the right is where the EHAUS garden once existed – EHAUS is a student co-op that tries to live sustainably and has gardened in the past. The other rectangle and the closer square (okay, the “L”) are newer additions this year that represent our efforts to double the size and output of the garden. The smaller L holds our herbs while the larger rectangles contain our vegetables.

So, what exactly are we growing? Well, the answer to that question is many, many vegetables. We have:

Pugnacious Potatoes

Opulent Onions

Persistent Peas

Spectacular Spinach

Peevish Peppers

Radioactive (okay, maybe not the most appetizing adjective, but they are spicy!) Radishes

Tight-lipped Tomatoes

Leafy Lettuces (three types!)

As well as beets, cucumbers, basil, thyme, rosemary, and dill!

As you can see from all the pictures, the garden is thriving. Thanks to the consistent weeding, watering, and planting efforts of about eight garden-minded students and the guiding presence of Claudia Kent, we have our own little Eden that puts supermarket produce to shame.  All in all, I would highly recommend any and everyone give this gardening thing a shot – a small pot of herbs alone can grow some surprisingly productive (and edible!) plants.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments/concerns.

Best,

Andrew

2 thoughts on “The Scoop on our Garden

1. Jennifer O'Donnell

Looks awesome, Andrew! I’d love to try one of those radioactive radishes. Mmm…I was inspired by your posts to plant my own little herb windowsill pot a few days ago.

2. Lee Flaherty '12

Might I suggest “ravishing radishes?” Furthermore, I would advise a bit of lemon juice on said radishes… a decidedly delectable duo!* I’m curious as to how the whole experiment fares; It is quite literally a world away from my hydroponic greenhouse adventure in the Australian bush. I’ll be sure to follow you as the summer progresses!

*Apparently, alliteration is highly en vogue.