IMPORTANT TASKS THAT NEED TO BE COMPLETED

There are a number of important tasks that are required before you arrive on campus August 28:

Complete the Technology Orientation, as explained in the “Getting started with Technology at Haverford” post. See blogs.haverford.edu/firstyear/2013/06/25/getting-started-with-technology-at-haverford-2/    for details.

Academic Integrity at Haverford
pic 3

In order to provide you with information that will be useful as you complete your placement exams and begin your academics at Haverford, we are asking all students in the Class of 2017 to complete the Academic Integrity Tutorial, which can be found at  moodle.haverford.edu/course/view.php?id=4574    under:  Academic Integrity Tutorial (Class of 2017 and Transfer Students)

This is not an optional Tutorial. The information contained will be followed up with additional information when you arrive, so we need each one of you to complete it before you arrive on campus August 28.

Don’t forget to send the photo for your OneCard – www.haverford.edu/reslife/first-year_students.php#do

Complete Placement exams –

Writing:  www.haverford.edu/writingprogram/  due August 2.

Mathematics: news.haverford.edu/survey/index.php?sid=55233&newtest=Y&lang=en

Physics: www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/placement.php.

Chemistry: www.haverford.edu/chem/dept/placement/exam.php

Economics: www.haverford.edu/economics/docs/placement-2013.docx

Language placement exams:   Students who have never taken these languages do not need to take the placement test.

Chinese Placement Exam: There are two parts to this exam.  One part needs to be completed online by August 10, 2013. The second part will be completed on Thursday, August 29th, the day after you arrive on campus.  Please read the instructions at: www.brynmawr.edu/enteringstudents/GuidetoLangPlacement.html  You will find the placement instructions at the bottom of the page. 

Spanish Placement Exam – will be available online from Sunday, August 12th until Sunday, August 26th at midnight through Moodle at Spanish Placement Test Fall 2013 

Students who are planning or just considering enrollment in a Spanish course at Haverford or Bryn Mawr College at any point in the future must take the Placement Test.     The online Spanish Placement Test must be taken before arriving on campus, even if students are not planning on taking Spanish during the first year.

French Placement Exam -  Available at August 1st.at:  French Placement Exam (2013)  (the password is: paris-dakar).

German Placement Exam – The German Placement Test  will be available at: moodle.haverford.edu/course/view.php?id=4391  from Thursday, July 11, 2013 at NOON until Tuesday, August  27 at NOON.

8 thoughts on “IMPORTANT TASKS THAT NEED TO BE COMPLETED

1. I have two questions:

-May I take the Spanish placement exam on Sunday the 11th of August?
    -Is there a Biology placement exam?

• I understand you can take the Spanish placement exam on the 11th. There is no Biology placement exam as First year students need to take 1 semester of college science with a lab before taking Biology at Haverford. The cellular biology taught here requires sophomore standing. Many students begin with Chemistry in their first year so they are ready for Bio sophomore year. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have additional questions. Raisa

2. What should I do if I cannot open the link to the mathematics placement test? What would happen with my mathematics placement if I did not take the placement test?

Thanks!

• Hi, Please send a note to Prof. Rob Manning (rmanning@haverford.edu) letting him know you are unable to access the link. I am sure he will send you the test in another format. I will contact him as well. Thanks for letting us know. Raisa

3. Oh no. Oh no. I did not read the second part of the Spanish Placement exam so I missed the window. Is there any way I can still take it. I’m so sorry!!!!!!!

• As I understand it, the window has not open yet for taking the Spanish placement exam. The Language blog states: Spanish Placement Exam – will be available online from Sunday, August 12th until Sunday, August 26th at midnight through Moodle at Spanish Placement Test Fall 2013

Did you subscribe to the blog? That is the best way to keep abreast of what you should be doing and when. Raisa

4. I’m wondering if it is necessary for me to take the economics placement exam. I took Macro Economics at Saddleback Community College and earned an A. I plan for Haverford to give me credit for it. So should I take the placement exam?

• Hello Andrew, Econ 105 is not Macro Econ but a combination of subjects. While you will receive a credit for your course, you may want to take a look at the placement exam before you decide you know the content of Econ 105, the Introductory course to Economics at Haverford. It won’t hurt to take the placement exam and it will give you, and your faculty adviser a better idea of how you should proceed. Hope this helps you (and all the other students who have the same question). By the way, you will need to print and either scan the completed exam to Anne Preston (apreston@hanverford.edu) or send the hard copy of the completed placement exam to Professor Anne Preston at Haverford College, 370 Lancaster Ave., Haverford, PA 19041