RSS

Everybody needs a melting hand!

This entry was posted on Mar 15 2010 by Kyle McCloskey '11

So, over Spring Break, I actually built a melting hand that I’m going to use for the film. How did I do it, you ask? With these simple instructions (and informative pictures!), you too can make your own creepy melting hand!

Start with a creepy skeleton hand:

Step 1: Get your creepy skeleton hand

To make sure the hand wouldn’t flop around while it was melting, I reinforced the wrist with some plaster of paris cloth. After it dries, the arm will be stiff, which is good for the film.

Next I took some sculpting wax:

Big ol' hunk of wax

And some different colored crayons (red and purple for the blood and apricot for the skin):

Crayons!

And melted both the sculpting wax and the crayons in an improvised double boiler (basically a bowl in a pot with some boiling water):

A handy dandy double boiler.

And then covered the skeleton hand with three different layers of colored wax: a red bottom layer, a white middle layer, and a peach top layer.

Here’s the final product!

One of the creepiest things ever.

It is rather weird to have this lying around my apartment.

Now, I won’t give away the context of the melting hand, but I will tell you it signals the Student (played by Peter)’s descent into madness. Fun, right?

4 Responses to “Everybody needs a melting hand!”

1. Not only can I not wait to see this hand melt, I am now looking forward to making my own melting hand. :-)

2. Awesome…I can hardly wait to see the meltdown and the film. Knowing the film will be black and white will you give a sneak preview in color?!?!

3. You have spent a lot of time and effort on this project and we are proud of you. Can hardly wait for the end results.
    love,
    dad and mom

4. Hmmm…VERY interesting! Iwill wait to see further details.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.