Friends of Batahola Volunteers (FOBV) is now searching for volunteers to accompany the Centro Cultural Batahola Norte for two years beginning in the summer of 2013!
Friends of Batahola Volunteers was founded in 2007 by Laura Hopps and Christine Ruppert, graduates of Boston College and the Casa de la Solidaridad program in El Salvador. Batahola volunteers are young people from the U.S. who accompany the Centro Cultural Batahola Norte in its work of empowerment of women and youth for social transformation. Volunteers live in the community as friends and coworkers, learning from the CCBN and contributing to the development of new initiatives. Some of the projects in which the volunteers are involved include:
- Taking part in the continuing formation of a 2-year volunteer program
- Designing and teaching an English course for adult students
- Accompanying the development of youth spaces for reflection and social action
- Accompanying a women’s quilting group
- Following up on graduates of a micro-enterprise class
- Updating this blog and writing periodic articles to keep friends and supporters in the U.S. updated on current events in Nicaragua, the Center, and our experiences as volunteers
- Coordinating the visits of short-term volunteers and delegations to the Center
- Being involved in community activities and classes, including choir, dance class, weekly Mass, etc.