The contact at the organization describes this position as “a demanding job but a great opportunity for a high energy person who loves working with youth, is committed to social justices, and knows how to turn sow’s ears into silk purses on a daily basis”:
Description: The Program Director (PD) is responsible for all aspects of program design and management at Gandhi Brigade, a social justice, and youth media organization in Silver Spring, Maryland. Gandhi Brigade helps young people realize their inner and collective power to become champions of the common good.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. The PD will work more than 40 hours a week and is not eligible for overtime pay. Benefits include basic health and dental insurance, 8 holidays, and 120 paid hours of vacation.
Reports to: Executive Director.
- Supervises program staff: PD hires, orients, oversees, and reviews all staff hired to perform program work. Also arranges for staff development within budget constraints.
- Coordinates non-staff partners: This includes the hiring and supervision of AmeriCorps members, interns, and volunteers.
- Plans program initiatives: Leads staff in drafting the annual program plan.
- Coordinates partnerships: Manages program partnerships including setting expectations and evaluating performance.
- Oversees program implementation: Oversees program performance, assures resource deployment, and shoots trouble.
- Organizes Youth Media Festival: Supervises staff, board, and volunteers in the planning and operation of our main organizational event.
- Manages program expenses: Makes spending decisions on program expenses and ensures these are within budget.
- Documents program: Builds curriculum, creates reports, manages files, and maintains records.
- Tracks outcomes: Is responsible for tracking, achieving and assessing outcome targets.
- Shares responsibility with the Executive Director and board of Directors for strategic planning and oversight.
- Attends community meetings as necessary.
- Engages in direct service to youth approximately 2 to 4 hours a week.
- Other duties as necessary.
- BA degree or higher
- Three years direct experience working with young people.
- Two years experience managing programs
- One year experience supervising staff
- One year experience working with diverse communities
- Experience creating media, especially video, photography, and graphic design.
- Experience digital media editing, especially Final Cut Pro and Adobe Suite
- Experience with community organizing
- Experience teaching and curricula development
- Experience planning events
- Experience in outcome tracking and evaluation
- Knowledge of Salesforce & ETO
- Spanish and/or Amharic skills
- Understanding of the Gandhi Brigade mission.
- Ability to engage and motivate young people.
- Ability to facilitate youth-lead development.
- Dedication to social justice
- Enthusiasm for collaboration and diversity.
- Endless creativity
Evaluation: Annual performance review with the Executive Director
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to Richard Jaeggi at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, October 21st.
Interested students should also make sure to check out their website here.