Happy Thanksgiving from the CCPA!
In the past couple of weeks we have heard from many students who are feeling a little (or a lot) stressed about figuring out their plans for next summer or after graduation. The reality is that most Haverford students have not secured their summer or post-graduation plans just yet – and that this timing is normal. Even so, we know that the internship/job search still feels very stressful. With that in mind, we wanted to send out a few thoughts and tips for you to keep in mind as we head into Thanksgiving break.
The good news is there is plenty of time to land a great gig for next summer, but, as with any major project (…like that term paper or senior thesis you might be working on…) the more thought, research, and time you put into planning, the better prepared you will be and the greater the likelihood that you will find something that you are excited about.
There are many opportunities posted in Career Connect, the LACN internship database and the other resources on the CCPA’s Internship page, and there are many, many more that will come up in the coming weeks and months. And for seniors, while there are some fellowships and jobs with upcoming deadlines, most of you will begin applying to jobs next semester.
So what should you be doing now?
- Explore your options (see our Exploring & Planning page for resources including “What Can I Do With My Major”);
- Develop a “wish list” of prospective employers and/or industries based on your exploration research. Research industries, employers and job/intern search sites that interest you using the Websites and Virtual Career Resources links on the CCPA’s Internship page and CCPA’s Jobs page.Be sure to review the College Sponsored Internships too;
- Update your resume and cover letters so they will be ready to go when it’s time to apply;
- Mark your calendar for workshops, panels, guest speakers, career fairs, and information sessions when you hear about them. NFP Philadelphia: A Not-For-Profit and Public Service Career Fair will be held in Founder’s Hall on 2/21/14;
- Update your profile in Career Connect to receive targeted emails about events and internships based on YOUR interests. And use the One-Click Search box to find many postings for internships with organizations interested in hiring Haverford students like you!
Of course, you can always schedule an appointment with a career advisor by calling 610-896-1181 or stopping by the CCPA in Stokes 300.
We hope you all have a fun, safe, and relaxing Thanksgiving holiday.
~Kelly, Amy, Liza, Emmy, Laura, and Jennifer at the CCPA
CONNECT WITH THE CCPA!
*LIKE us on Facebook
*Join Haverford’s Career Connections group in LinkedIn to gather advice from Alumni
*Read the CCPA Blog for inspiration and job search tips, including two recent posts about Networking and Giving Thanks
*Request a Resume or Cover Letter Critique through our website
*Practice your interview skills using CareerBeam’s interactive interview prep tool
Career Mentoring Dinner with Chris Schmidt ‘83, Brown University School of Public Health, Monday, Dec. 2 at 5:30pm, MCC. Please RSVP by Friday, November 29 by filling out this form:www.surveymonkey.com/s/3KCKKVS
Thinking about pursuing further education or a career in health sciences, public health, epidemiology, or biostatistics? Come for a pizza dinner with Chris Schmid ’83, Professor of Biostatistics and Director of the Master’s Program in Biostats at Brown University’s School of Public Health. A math major and baseball player at Haverford, Chris received a Master’s and Ph.D. In statistics from Harvard. Ever since, Chris has combined his love of math with medicine and was a founding member of Brown’s Center for Evidence-Based Medicine. Come hear about Chris’ path and research and the Public Health School at Brown and bring your questions! Sponsored by Pre-Health Advising, the Center for Career & Professional Advising (CCPA), and Alumni Relations
Whitehead Internship Fund Information Session
Tuesday, Dec. 3, 6:30 PM, Swarthmore Room, HC DC
The Whitehead Fund helps to support students who have completed their sophomore or junior year, to engage in a summer work experience related to entrepreneurial endeavors, small business enterprise, venture capital or investment finance activities.
QuEST Information Session (Year of Service in Seattle) (Alumni Speaker)
Monday, Dec. 2 at 6:30pm, Haverford College, DC Swarthmore Room
Haverford House Information Session
Thursday, Dec. 5 at 6:00pm, Haverford College, Stokes, CPGC Cafe
Internship Search for International Students
Friday, Dec. 6, 4pm, DC, Bryn Mawr Room
Finding an Internship & Resume Tips (last session of the semester!)
Friday, Dec. 6, 3pm, DC, Bryn Mawr Room
Winter Break Events:
Career Exploration Day in Washington DC (Think Tanks and Research Institutes, 1/7/13) - sign up in CCPA starting Dec. 3.
Road Trips to the Real World
EACE Invites You to Take a Road Trip to the Real World (CCPA is a member of EACE). Register by Nov. 30 (space filling quickly)