© 2009 Alexa Kutler '11 lots of things in my head, but what can I do about it!

Getting to Cape Town and Expectations!

plane

July 13th 2009
I’ve never traveled this far away from the US in my life.  I went to Canada once when I was four but I don’t actually remember my time there.  My three and a half hour plane ride to Phili pretty much covers the extent of my travels so as you can imagine, when I learned that I would leave Texas on Monday and not arrive in Cape Town until Wednesday morning, I was quite…shaken? I don’t know if that is the right way to put it, but let’s just say I was less than enthused. While my usual go-to plane activity is Solitaire, I have been advised that playing all the way to Cape Town (that’s like 22 hours?) may be a bad idea. .. So we will see what happens! I’m on my way to Chicago right now and from there I go to London where I will stay for 7 hours and then head to Cape Town. So far the flight has been nice and I’m writing in here to pass the time. I’m going to go to sleep now but I’ll write more later!

July 17th 2009
I have been in Cape Town for 2 days now- We have been staying at hotel and doing orientation things. I have had a nice time so far but I am kind of in a daze right now– I titled this piece ‘expectations’ but I’m not sure why because at this point I can’t really articulate what they might be. I’m really not sure what to expect. I feel like there has been so much build up to this process and now I’m just…going. I’ve felt like I was in limbo for my last week or so at home- just waiting for something to happen…but now that something is about to happen I don’t know how to think about it. I feel a lot better than I felt when I was leaving for college though, and I think that says a lot. Haverford (and going away for college in general) has really challenged me to grow up a lot and feel more confidant when I’m in unknown situations or places on my own.  I’m excited for this trip because I hope to challenge myself in a similar way (although, I don’t know how much I will actually be able to go out ‘on my own’)….but still. I hope to learn a lot form this experience.

One Comment

1. ppj
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 6:11 pm | #

Love the Graphics