At Last

Posted: January 11th, 2012 | Author: | Filed under: The Latest | Comments Off

I feel like a kid at the Fourth of July. Not just any kid. I feel like the kid who’s been waiting since July 5th for the return of the glorious fireworks and the blaring of marches by John Phillips Sousa. There are days when it felt like the Biennial would never get here. I had hit this point where I’d tried to avoid thinking about the Biennial, because every time I thought about it, I started counting the months until it would arrive in Pennsylvania. Like any overexcited person, this made the passage of time all the more tedious.

But, after months of waiting, I am thrilled out of my mind to say that at last the People’s Biennial has reached Haverford! And what a wild ride it’s going to be (I’m trying to maximize my use of clichés here)!

The Event Schedule

Opening Reception on Friday, January 27, 2012, 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at the CFG. Maiza Hixson will be conducting interviews and Portland-area artist Rudy Speerchneider will serve ice cream from his piece Junior Ambassador’s Food Cart: A Mostlandian Venture.

Get the inside scoop from the Haverford-area artists at the Artists Conversation on Thursday, February 9, 2012, 4:30 p.m. at the CFG led by People’s Biennial Project Liaison, David Richardson (with whom any reader of this blog will be familiar!) and Campus Exhibitions Coordinator, Matthew Callinan.

After the artists conversation, stick around Haverford for a Screening and Conversation with Artist Laura Deutch at 7:00 p.m. at Haverford College, Sharpless Auditorium, KINSC. Laura will be screening her film El Sol Sale which chronicles the rapid growth of the Mexican community in the historically immigrant neighborhood of South Philadelphia. Told through the first hand experiences of the main subjects who have been a formative part of this development over the last 20 years, a collective story of the community unfolds. However with growth and assimilation, come problems, resistance and efforts to organize. El Sol Sale presents stories from the subjects’ memories, reflections and perspectives about the complexity of searching for a better life in a country that is not one’s own. (US, 2010, 52 minutes)

For more film goodness, check out the Screening and Conversation with Artist Howard Kleger and Brandon Joyce on Monday, February 13, 2012, 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. at the Humanities Center, Stokes Hall 102. Artist Howard Kleger will screen and discuss his film Howard2Go featured in the People’s Biennialexhibition. This program will be led by Brandon Joyce.

And, to complete your People’s Biennial experience, be sure not to miss the 2 part People’s Conference with the curators of the exhibition Harrell Fletcher and Jens Hoffmann. The first part will be Friday, February 24, 2012, 4:30 p.m. at Haverford College, Sharpless Auditorium, KINSC and will be led by Renaud Proch, Deputy Director of Independent Curators International.  On Saturday, February 25 the conference will be at the Institute of Contemporary Art at the University of Pennsylvania from 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

I’m going to be able to tell Alan Massey in person how incredible I find his tiny but power-packed pieces, shake Jorge Figueroa’s hand and congratulate him on his show at the People’s Gallery, see Maiza Hixson in action and Laura Deutch and Howard Kleger discussing their work.

Names that have been ringing in our staff’s heads for months will now be proudly on display on our walls. From Cymantha Diaz Liakos to Howard Kleger, to Andrew Sgarlat to Robert Smith-Shabazz, from soap carvings to pinatas, it’s going to be an incredible few months. Be sure to join us for some (if not all) of these events, or at the very least, pop by and take in the show!

For more info, check out: blogs.haverford.edu/biennial/ or get in touch with our staff at hcexhibits@gmail.com.

© Copyright 2014 | People’s Biennial All Rights Reserved