Non-sensibility

Posted: November 22nd, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: The Latest | Comments Off

The practical side of me demands for someone to explain and make sense of these diagrams.  The liberal arts side of me asks what the human concept and the limit of sense is.  The abstract side of me wonders whether art ever needs to make sense.  And the inquiring part of me asks you, what do you make of it all?

Researching Howard Kleger’s background was a challenge.  Aside from the fact that there isn’t too much written about him, the big challenge was trying to digest his work in order to say something/comment on his work.  But alas, words chose to avoid me this time.  For me, I found myself just staring at his work.  It was enjoyable simply staring at one piece and moving to the next.  Fortunately, Howard has some friends who find him to be fascinating enough to dedicate a corner on the internet about him. One of his friends, Brandon Joyce, writes:

“Squinting sense was his forte. His thoughts and observations always straddled the limits of metaphor, the same boundaries between sense and nonsense that’s traced by the comedic. Remember waking for school with a head full of dream remnants? Churning them over in the shower, wishing you had pen and paper. By the time you toweled yourself dry, the thoughts had evaporated like morning dew, leaving only the softest impression of their world-historical brilliance.

Howard is without this regret. These brilliant little patents are just as vivid and accessible in his waking life. Clear as the noonday day, and coming out of his mouth, a-mile-a-minute. Microphone microscopes. Ladybug backpack 8-track mixers. Audiosnakes. Concept sculptures. A periodic table of energies. Midgets dressed up like children serving drinks from behind a screen. A bottomless reservoir of dopaminic ideas that Howard is hellbent on seeing realized.”

The thing about Howard’s work is that it may come off as nonsense.  But at the same time, his work radiates exciting sensibility; he has a keen appreciation for exploring the limits of mental and sensory perception.

Read the rest of what his friend had to say here.

A listening experience.

Have a great week!

© Copyright 2014 | People’s Biennial All Rights Reserved