So many rounds to do promoting the event, going to various TV and radio stations, dropping off posters at embassies and establishments, picking up art supplies, etc. People have been amazingly supportive, and it looks like we’ll be getting plenty of news coverage. ‘Sgonna be big!
K, here are some photos from today’s meeting at the 441 school to figure out the mural. We met with everrryone working on the mural, not just the four leading workshops (Larry, Musah, Attukwei, Sharif) or the two guiding us (Mozzay and Shamoun, the established Nima artist teachers who are serving as our mentors/directors). The artists are designing the mural, and they’ll guide the students in painting it.
We decided on the themes/objects of inspiration for the mural – if only I could spell them. They embody aspects of Nima life that are truly “Nima.” And all positive! Trying to break the perception that Nima is a crime-ridden ghetto. (And it’s not just an outside perception. For the kids doing workshops, in a lot of their sample sketches they showed people smoking, drinking, littering, defecating… We asked them to think more about what they love and value in their community, and they came back with some really wonderful ideas.)
So, on the outside we’ll have:
1) ampe, a clapping/dancing/stomping children’s game that finds its home on the Nima streets (kids were also playing at Chale Wote in Jamestown this weekend)
2) tousafe (spelling??), a kind of corn and cassava dish, I think (nope, it’s not banku)
3) makerate (?), not sure exactly what that is but it has to do with school…
And on the inside:
1) kisu, a typical Nima hairstyle
2) yayi, a local uniform/dress style (different from V.I.P.’s song “Yaayi,” which I used in this video about our event. Yah that took a bit of repeating the words yayi/yaayi on Larry’s part for me to understand)
3) 441 Welfare Association School, something related to the specific activities at the host school, such as carpentry or design
Tags: 441, 441 welfare association school, Accra, ampe, art, Ghana, kamal, kisu, larry amin, mozzay, mural, musah swallah, nima, nima: muhinmanchi art, serge attukwei clottey, shamoun, sharif, v.i.p., yaayi, yayi