The Crimson Tide goes out.

I would never use this forum to talk about college football.  So, with that being said, I have to incorporate this wonderful result of my Alma mater, Texas A&M University beating the #1 ranked University of Alabama Crimson Tide on Saturday into the Haverford College Arboretum’s blog.

There are some 4000 species of red algae.  These are particularly abundant in the warm and tropical waters, although many can be found in cooler regions of the world.  A red tide (Crimson Tide) occurs when there is a higher than normal concentration of one of these species, thus causing a “bloom”.  Their elevated populations turn the water a reddish brown hue.  Red tides are responsible for respiratory irritants in some individuals (coughing, sneezing, and tearing).  In extreme outbreaks it has caused the shout down of commercial fisherman from harvesting clams, oysters, and mussels.  The factors that contribute to red tide outbreaks is not completely understood. However, levels of nutrients, sewage runoff, ocean salinity, temperature, wind, light and many other factors all play important roles.

Great game, a few trivial facts, not a bad segue.

My Texas A&M Aggies defeat top ranked Alabama.