Exploring Haverford: Open Campus Day

Some of the Student Volunteers who made Open Campus Day such a success! Photo courtesy of Shane Trujillo

April 13 was Open Campus Day, a day for students considering coming to Haverford to look around the campus, meet students, and learn about academic departments and extracurricular activities on campus.  It was a gorgeous day for walking around campus.  The Student Volunteers who work in the Office of Admission began the day at Ryan Gym – we reviewed our instructions and duties for the day.  A few students and I began near the parking lot, directing people to register at Founders Hall.  Next, I proceeded to Founders Hall for the academic fair.  There was a lively hub of people circulating in and out, talking with a wide variety of professors and students representing academic departments.  Of course, there were plenty of handouts to be had!  (Another way to learn about the academic ethos was at the Academics Panel later in the day.)  I talked with all sorts of parents and prospective students about my experience with academics and extracurricular life at Haverford, my interests (it helped that I had a name tag imploring, “Ask me about LINGUISTICS and Cognitive Science”), and, most importantly, the prospective students’ interests.  People had great questions which gave me a chance to expound upon what makes Haverford such a unique school with a plethora of opportunities. 

Tours of the campus and of specific buildings went off while I headed to lunch.  As I waited in the massive line, I answered more questions and shared more information about Haverford with other folks in line.  I moved back in line a few times to extend my time in line and thereby chat with more people.  (Some wonderful volunteers brought us cookies and brownies as we waited!)  After we were served, I sat down to talk with some visitors; when they left, I switched tables and had a wonderful conversation with two prospective students and their parents.  We were some of the last people to leave the Dining Center.  I directed the parents to the Parents Panel and walked the students to the Students-Only Panel, two excellent opportunities for the different cohorts to ask questions. 

My final event was at the Closing Reception.  As people met in the Gardner Integrated Athletic Center before they left campus, I approached various groups and even saw some folks I had seen earlier in the day.  It sounded like people had an exciting (and hopefully persuasive!) Open Campus Day experience, which made me ecstatic.  For me, the best part of the day was hearing so much about prospective students’ interests and ambitions, which, in turn, prompted conversations about the school.  I am a tour guide, so I get asked questions on tours, but, due to the limited time available on a tour, I can only share so much about the college.  However, on Open Campus Day, I felt like I had the chance to talk in a more extensive and detailed fashion and to describe in more detail what makes Haverford an outstanding learning environment and caring community on a personal level. 

If you are interested in working for the Office of Admission, one way you can do so is to apply to be a host (people who talk with students and parents as they wait for tours or interviews) or a campus tour guide during the Spring semester of your freshman year.  Both positions are opportunities to share the college with visitors and to present them not only with facts but with your or your friends’ personal experiences with classes and extracurricular opportunities, study abroad adventures and internships and externship experiences, funding from the CPGC and classes or exhibits from the Hurford Center.  This blog is my last for the semester, so, a bit in advance, I hope you all HAVER stellar end of the school year!