Bittersweet Autumn

And in one instantaneous motion, fall break has passed and it’s now post-midsemester. I must admit that autumn is my favorite season on Haverford’s campus- the different color and complexion of each leaf is enough to incite a glimpse of happiness during the most stressful days. Plus, autumn is the season where almost every squirrel (black, brown, gray, and hybrids) on campus is active and seemingly elated, as well as the swift chipmunks, rabbits, and the occasional cordial community cat.
Yet, beyond the natural environment, the fall semester thus far has been exciting, especially academically. This semester I opted to continue to fulfill my last lingering major requirements, along with enrolling in the Teaching Learning Institute, a Bi-college education program, where students partner with faculty to enhance and improve learning as well as teaching inside and outside the classroom. I act as a student consultant, a conduit between the students and faculty, bearing the responsibility of expressing students’ concerns that may be a little more arduous to explain to faculty. I also offer my opinion to the faculty to member when they’re developing their various pedagogical strategies for the semester. This is merely one example of the many opportunities here at Haverford. It also highlights the benefits of being at a purely undergraduate institution since undergraduates subsequently fill these positions. While, this semester I’m a student consultant for an Introduction Economics course, which affords me access to an Economics course (since I’ve never taken a course in Economics), I am also learning about Economics in the process, which was one of my goals to do before I graduated.
This brings me to being a senior. Life as a Senior is well different. Besides the fact seniors shape and mold a lot of the culture on campus, there is a heap of work that constantly needs to be completed. In addition, to diving headfirst into the job search, there’s also the senior thesis. And as a double major in Sociology and Religion, my thesis will have to satiate both departments. This is exactly why only about five percent of each class decides to double major- because it often means two theses. As I wait to submit my religion thesis proposal and continue looking for jobs, answering a plethora of questions about the resources on campus for underclassmen, I occasionally remember this is my last autumn at Haverford. The last time where I will observe the leaves ever so peacefully swirl to the ground or the squirrels scurry pass me every morning on my way to class. Being a senior is bittersweet. Yes. Still, it’s great to complete my time here at Haverford, there’s so much to be missed about this campus even the subtle things, such as the leaves, and yet there’s so much to be desired outside of Haverford.