It’s good to be back

Being back at Haverford is such a lovely thing. Because I was abroad last semester (I studied at the University of Melbourne in Australia), coming back to the Ford has been that much more special. As much fun as abroad was (and seriously, I recommend studying abroad to EVERYONE), nothing quite compares to Haverford. It’s good to be back.

The beginning of the academic year is my favorite time because not only does it mean a reunion with old friends, but it also marks the start of soccer. I’m a co-captain of the varsity women’s soccer team here and when I’m in season, I’m having the most fun. Last year we won the Centennial Conference Championship for the first time since 1995!

69537_10151147799286121_1982852290_n

Winning the conference last year and going on to the NCAA tournament was such an incredible experience; one we’re hoping to repeat this year! Many of my fondest memories here at Haverford are from playing on this team. One of my favorites was when we hosted the first round of NCAA’s here and so many members of our community came to cheer us on. From students, to professors, to administrators, everyone present supported us and the noise was deafening. Haverford really emphasizes the importance of community; whether it be academics, athletics, or extracurriculars, everyone here supports one another. How many people can say that they can hear their professors cheering them on when they’re dribbling down the field?

Being a student-athlete at Haverford is truly a unique experience. There are no classes scheduled from 4-7, when practices take place, so it’s quite rare that I would ever miss class for an athletic event. When I was looking for schools, I wanted to attend a place where I would, first and foremost, be a student. As much as I love soccer ( I mean I’ve been playing the glorious sport for my entire life) my priority has always been to get the best education possible. If I’m able to play the sport I love while doing so, well that’s just the cherry on top. Haverford is a place where you can be challenged academically in the classroom and the physically on the field. I really feel as though I’ve been living up to my student-athlete potential here.

All in all, I’m super excited for this year. There’s so much to look forward to as you will all learn from the heaps of blogs we’re going to post. I can’t wait to tell you guys more. Until next time, cheers!

Oh! One more thing! This past pre-season, our team hosted a clinic for the Delaware County Special Olympics Chapter Soccer Team. We led the players in a warm-up, various drills, and even cheered them on as they scrimmaged. We’re being recognized by this month’s NCAA Division III Special Olympics Spotlight Poll. If you would like to learn more about what we did/want to vote for us and help us win $500 to go towards our next clinic please click the following link. Thanks!

Women’s soccer nominated for NCAA Division III Special Olympics Spotlight Poll