Thesis Grind

Sorry I have not updated you all in quite a while…let me tell you, second semester senior year has kicked in. As I’m sure you have all heard, all seniors at Haverford write a Senior Thesis. This thesis is intended to demonstrate what we have learned and how we have grown academically and intellectually over the past four years at Haverford. Every senior writes one here because we believe we all deserve the opportunity to write a Senior Thesis, we have no honors students because in truth, we are all honors students. The other great thing about all seniors writing a thesis, besides the academic experience we all get, is that we are all going through this together. Every single one of us is having ups and downs, good days and bad days, and we all understand what the other is going through. Let me tell you, it makes this whole process a heck of a lot easier when 325 other students are in the same boat as you all trying to get this thesis done on time.

With that said, the thesis grind has begun. For most of us, our drafts are due April 1st, which means it is go time. For my thesis I am looking at the impact International Criminal Tribunals have on fostering reconciliation in countries recovering from intra-state violence. In particular, I am looking at Bosnia and the impact the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia had there. I am arguing that International Criminal Tribunals fail to ensure that reconciliation occurs because of 1) the distance at which they function, the international dilemma; and 2) the serving of justice is not enough for some individuals recovering from such atrocities. For some of you this may sound like gibberish, but I promise you, it has taken me months and months to get to this point where I am able to write down my argument in a few sentences. With the guidance of my wonderful thesis advisor Anita Isaacs, who I meet with once a week, we have reached this point together.

I have three weeks to finish the first full draft of my thesis…but I think I can do it!