Catching Up…

Well it’s been a bit, and a lot has transpired. To facilitate the most efficient and accurate summation of this past month and a half (sorry guys) I’m going to descend into a bit of a stream of consciousness. Let’s see how this goes…

October brought the usual flurry of papers and midterms, but it also brought my family over from Seattle. Whilst here, I joked that they had a quintessential Haverford experience. First, we had dinner at the very delicious and local Peruvian Barbeque restaurant, Barbacoa. The family platter, complete with a whole roast chicken, pulled pork, ribs, and 2 pounds worth of sides, sufficed in feeding us all. So good. The next morning, we had bagels with my advisor and her family (she conveniently lives on campus, as do about half of our professors); my dad, a professor himself, joked that this would never happen at our house. Well, dear Papi, this is how we do it at Haverford. It was a thoroughly enjoyable brunch, with conversation ranging in topics from digitized course offerings to Boobah (look it up if you dare – I’ll just say it’s fitting for a three year old’s imagination). Next up, the fam and I watched our Centennial Conference champion men’s soccer team take on Gettysburg, whisked our way through a field hockey game, and gabbed with my friends from my freshmen year Customs group. And to conclude, we made the obligatory stop at WaWa for subs…

Hurricane Sandy punctuated October’s end, closing the college for two days. The campus was extraordinarily lucky and managed to escape any real damage. We lost power for maybe an hour in sum, and the only physical effect was some excessive pine needle blanketing. Our campus arboretum stood strong, and classes were back in swing on Wednesday. Those two days brought some welcome extra hours of sleep, movie marathons, and lots of parental phone calls (my dad called every other hour, though he insisted he wasn’t worried about me). Those phone calls weren’t unnecessary, as it turned out, and my friends and I were aware of how devastating the storm really was. The college has come together and many students are proposing various avenues for the Haverford community to aid those affected. Here’s the link for those interested:

www.haverford.edu/news/stories/65711/51

…Soon after, Gloria Steinem was on campus! I don’t throw exclamation points around often, but Gloria Steinem was seriously incredible. She shared a lot of simultaneously inspirational, insightful, and often satisfyingly sarcastic musings. My favorite? “We are linked, not ranked.” The societal (and feminist) implications of this statement are massive and incredibly important, but it really resonated with me as a Haverford student. This is something that the college really tries to embody, in the ways in which the student voice is, essentially, just as important as the administrative one, to our heavily discussion-based classrooms, to the interconnectedness of our alumni network. This isn’t a college predicated on hierarchy, and it’s one of the aspects of Haverford that I appreciate the most. Thank you, Gloria, for a wonderful visit and reminding me of yet another reason why I adore this college…

The election kicked the college into high voting gear. All partisanship aside, I’ve never seen so many Facebook statuses in my life telling everyone to vote. Various groups on campus set up voter registration tables, students were shuttling students to and from the local polling places all day, and sorry professors, absolutely no homework got done on Nov. 6; we were all glued to various screens. I made a huge pot of chili for my friends and myself, and we all huddled around my laptop, flitting between CNN and old SNL clips, as we awaited results. The election ended many group viewing sessions of debates, lots of late night political discussions, and canvassing by Haverford students… until the next four (more) years!

…Amongst all this, our fall sports teams were fantastic, bringing home half of the available Centennial Conference championships! Again, note the exclamation point. Both soccer teams, as well as our Men’s Cross Country teams were crowned champions this year, with Field Hockey and Women’s Cross Country winning second place, and our Volleyball team making the semi-finals before falling to the eventual champion, Franklin and Marshall. Those championships meant NCAA’s, so I decided to take all three extension days on one of my papers and head to Arcadia University for the Men’s Soccer games. There were so many Haverfordians there, from tons of students, to very vocal families, to professors and deans. We didn’t have any national championships (though the Men’s Cross Country team was close! 2nd place – congratulations, Goats!), but the whole college is so proud of all of our teams. Well done, well done, black squirrels!

The coffee I’ve been sipping as I’ve been writing is almost gone, so I guess it’s time to conclude. The holidays are upon us, and that means it’s getting to be crunch time at the college. Bring on those finals! But also, bring on that holiday music; I’m going to listen to Mariah Carey and relish my remaining few weeks of Haverford life until Winter break. Cheers, everyone!